Struvite Crystals And Wet Diets

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To get into the science of the whole thing... you can get urinary PH test strips and test him out for a while. The goal to eliminating crystals is slightly acidic pee. The more alkaline the pee, the higher the probability that crystals form. And starchy food (kibble) is more alkaline.

I did all of this at the beginning after inheriting Kody who had had several flush-outs when I first got him.

Try googling "struvite crystals cats ph"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To get into the science of the whole thing... you can get urinary PH test strips and test him out for a while. The goal to eliminating crystals is slightly acidic pee. The more alkaline the pee, the higher the probability that crystals form. And starchy food (kibble) is more alkaline.

I did all of this at the beginning after inheriting Kody who had had several flush-outs when I first got him.

Try googling "struvite crystals cats ph"
i googled "non absorbant cat litter" and wow... first time seeing this. I should so do this but where??.... my litter robot is huge :mad:

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to wait around with a metal dish and a locking tongs, so I could swoop immediately mid-pee with the dish and catch it. I got to be pretty good at catching him and collecting it directly.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to wait around with a metal dish and a locking tongs, so I could swoop immediately mid-pee with the dish and catch it. I got to be pretty good at catching him and collecting it directly.
lol...im not at that advanced level yet. have you heard of pretty litter?

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wait.. i still have puppy pads. hmmm.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mostly, I think you need a very clean sample for the PH test kits. I seem to remember even newspaper has some PH of it's own, so as to not provide a clean result.

Just practice, if he's on the special kibble - you don't have to worry in the meantime.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I have him c/d samples and Purina One UTI for backup for kibble anyway.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
NO NOT AGAIN

Yes he’s pissing yes he’s on his special diet.
SCREAMS