Struggling with Depression...

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took St. John's Wort for about 3 years, and it helped me tremendously. I would take it now, but I am also in therapy, and they want me to take the Serzone for the duration of my therapy. I had no idea that it had drug interactions, but fortunately, they did not pertain to me.
I have had all the meds everyone has listed here, and the SJW, worked the best for me. Serzone is almost as good, and seems to be helping me.
I have also been much better since I went back to school. I was feeling really low about not having a job that actually made any money, and all the down time I had, even at work, and a friend got me to go to school with her. I did not hold out much hope after 25 years that school would be good for me, but it has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. I enjoy the school itself, and the prospect of being able to have a career in a field that is growing by leaps and bounds is very exciting.
If you have the time resources, learning something new may help. I hope this works out for you. Please keep us posted on your progress, or if you just need to vent, or something. Mostly just know that you are not alone.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had depression and have tried the pill route - I didn't like it. I find that hypnotherapy and meditation really works well together. Even if you don't do both, meditation or visualization therapy can work wonders. For me I have a few different visualization techniques. Make sure you are comfy (chair bed, etc). Start by relaxing your body....start at your toes and work your way up. Tighten and release muscles. Once relaxed, clear your mind and start building a picture. I have 2 I generally do. One is a mountain forest glade with a babbling brook rushing by, I use that one normally just for relaxation. When really stressed I start by picturing myself walking down a beach with waves crashing in. I start to build a wall out of the sand that hardens as I build it. Nothing can get in that I don't want. But I can take the walls down from the inside any time I feel like it. Once the walls surround me I paint the walls with joyous pictures of my life. I find this to be very helpful. Visualization can really work if you find the right trigger/key to help yourself.

I hope whatever path you find helps you!