Stressing about feral brought inside

shenny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well done for perseverance! I truly think that 'playing' is your way forward. Cats can't resist it! I rescued a Feral (one that would become one of many) and for the first 3 years I didn't see her, she eat, drank and used the litter tray but those were the only signs I had that she was still alive!!!! Eventually I bought lots of smelly squeaky toys to entice her out from underneath the bed. It worked, she never became tame though but I believe that's more a personality trait. Also, sleeping in the room is going to help enormously, you won't react when she sneaks up to see you because you'll be asleep and therefore gain her trust. It won't be long before she starts looking forward to you spending a night with her. These cats are terrified of everything and their only instinct is to survive so she'll have missed out on being a kitten so playing with her is also a wonderful way to gain her trust. I've rescued many feral cats since but they all have one thing in common 'pure unadulterated fear' because it's how they survive in the wild. Some of my ferals became the tamest and sweet natured cats you could ever imagine, I gained the trust from others that I would never hurt them but they would never become a tame domesticated animal. My joy wasn't in turning these ferals into loving cats but that they trusted me enough to let me near enough to stroke them.

Keep it up, you're doing all the right things. I bought Lucy a squeaking bird on a stick which dangled so I was far away enough for her to come out and grab the bird. It worked for me and hopefully it will you to.