Stressed........(long)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

They are waiting until he is 5 to do any testing on him.. I have requested an allergy test on him in the past but unless he has an "outbreak" due to an allergy they wont test him... I know his teacher did an evaluation on him not too long ago and said even though he's 4 he's on a 5-6 yr old's learning level. He's smart as a whip, just mean as a rattlesnake
One your getting the run around by five I had been so tested it wasnt funny...
The diet is something you can do ... no testing required except at home by you taking things out ... I am not home but I send you a few links.. So he is a smarty pants ... challange him...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

One your getting the run around by five I had been so tested it wasnt funny...
The diet is something you can do ... no testing required except at home by you taking things out ... I am not home but I send you a few links.. So he is a smarty pants ... challange him...
My oldest son has ADHD and ICD (impulse control disorder) and we do not medicate him, we did the elimination by diet. Red food dye's, yellow #5, switched to lactose-free milk and he has done better. Deacon on the other hand does'nt eat much at all. He's picker then a bird. We have consulted his Dr about this also and she said to let him eat what he will minus the junk food of course. He's mainly into peanut butter, toast and corm
and we have him on multi vitimans. They say he's good at school but she can see where he would have a listening problem at home. His teacher says that he listens rather well to her. It's just at home with us that we have a problem.

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Consistant was the word I was looking for late last night but couldn't find.

Consistancy is best....as for testing, I pushed for testing for my daughter due to family history and odd behavior/impulses ect....

She was diagnosed with Asperger's at the age of 4 years old. They can refer you to a developmental pediatrician and the like.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't know if this will help you much or not. When my 14 year old son was that age he did the opposite. Sweet perfect boy at home, challenging, obnoxious, angry at school. One thing that helped him was we discovered he had a vision problem (he couldn't focus on things close up, then far away - binocular dysfunction, I think.) That helped with his reading. Years later, he still has trouble at school, but now that he can verbalize it, it's that he thinks that a lot of the stuff he's being taught is bogus. He is upset that he is just one person and he can't change the world. He's seeing a counselor, who tells him that people that are artistic or smarter than the average bear often have trouble relating to others and need counseling.

So in a way I'm telling you that it never ends, but if you get him on your side by being consistent, hopefully later your relationship will be good when you have that fun junior high stuff!!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
as I don't have kids, I hope Deacon will behave better and do things you ask him not to do/do.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Provided that his problem is really behavioral and not due to some physical reason (fascinating, I had never heard allergies could do that before!) I could tell you what my favorite radio psychiatrist, Dr. Ray Guarendi, suggests for kids who won't listen.

He always says, as one earlier poster did, to say what you want once, and tell him the consequences. "If you don't turn off the tv right now, you're going to be sent to your room." Then, if he doesn't do it, follow through with the consequences, no second warnings at all. Also, he suggests a thing he calls a "blackout" in which all privaleges are taken away. No tv, no toys, no special treats, etc. When you feel your son has done something to warrent a blackout, you tell him how long it will last, and let him know that if he breaks it, it will be prolonged. Then you follow through.

If you're interested at all in his work, since he's not as well known as Dr. Phil or Dr. Dobson, his site is http://www.drray.com/main.htm . He is specifically a Catholic child psyciatrist, but most of his information is not religion-based, I just thought I would let you know ahead of time.

I hope you sort this problem out soon, I know it must be terribly frustrating for you, but we all know you're doing your best. Best of luck!