Stressed,grieving Or Something Else?

liam'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I’m hoping that someone can help a frustrated and concerned cat mom.

In our family we had 2 rescues, Liam who is 11yrs old now (rescued at age 2) and Ace who recently passed away at age 12 (we rescued him at age 6). Inside cats.

The boys were friends and got along pretty well. In june my husband and I went on a 10 day vacation. We had found a couple of fleas the day we left and didn’t have time to get them under control before we left. We had a pet sitter visiting the boys while we were gone.

When we arrived back home, all hell broke loose. The cats were marking the house up...the house was flea infested and the brothers were avoiding each other. Since we had problems with certain flea meds in the past, we tried to conquer the fleas naturally which eventually didn’t work and had to resort to the meds. During this time, Ace started acting strange and started bleeding from his mouth. We took him to the vet and the vet said he needed some teeth pulled. We scheduled the surgery for mid August. When we returned home, he refused to leave the tub....refused to eat. He had a major bleeding event and 3 days later he crossed the rainbow bridge. During the time that Ace was in the bathroom, Liam would hide in the basement. He peed at least once outside the litter box in the basement. At first we let him stay in the basement but when we discovered the fleas had invaded the basement too, we brought him upstairs. He retreated to a room that we call “the cat room “. The first couple days he retreated there he kept peeing on the floor, in his food bowl....instead of going to the litter box in the basement.
We brought a litter box to the room and he hasn’t peed outside the box since. Since the natural method didn’t work against the fleas, we got Revolution from the vet and now there are very few fleas on him. Because he has retreated to the room, the fleas in the rest of the house are getting under control.

Now for the problem, he won’t leave the cat room.
He sleeps alot, watches the birds out the windows. His food and litter box are in the room with him. We try to play with him but he doesn’t seem too interested. Now that the fleas are not constantly bothering him, he is sleeping better. I have tried bringing him out of the room and he will sit on my lap for a few minutes before running back to the cat room. Any ideas on helping him return to the little buddy he use to be? Or should we be more worried?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Liam’s mom

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Which natural methods did you try?

Honestly, it sounds like a mixture of stress and grief and just too much at once. I am truly sorry for your lost and hopefully with time Liam will recover. He may never be the same as he was before but just like with people time can help. You can also check with your vet about a short term anti anxiety or anti depressent treatment to help him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liam'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks kieka for replying.

We started with combing and the ‘natural’ sprays for the house. Baking soda, borax on carpets, flea traps....heck i even tried cedar discsin the furniture. After awhile we gave up and progressed to hartz & black flag with lots and lots of washing, vacuuming and flea collars. After Ace died, the flea population started to slowly deminish and since Liam refuses to leave a tiled roon, we have been able to get ahead of the fleas and now with the addition of the Revolution on him, we are starting to win the battles.

We all miss Ace and I have to agree that it’s a mixture. They were together for over 6 yrs. if you or anyone else have hints on how to help him though this, i would greatly appreciate it.

Which natural methods did you try?

Honestly, it sounds like a mixture of stress and grief and just too much at once. I am truly sorry for your lost and hopefully with time Liam will recover. He may never be the same as he was before but just like with people time can help. You can also check with your vet about a short term anti anxiety or anti depressent treatment to help him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Wow, what a rough time for all of you!
Play music, there's classical harp music which really works for cats or there's an app called Relax My Cat.
Look into calming products, there are diffusers, collars, treats and a wide variety of brands with all sorts of ingredients, from casein to valerian, even CBD oil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liam'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks furballsmom....i didn’t think of classical music. Whenever I leave for a lengthof time I have begun leaving the TV on, usually on one of the hallmark channels as it’s what i watch when I’m home.