Stressed Cat

Whittaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, can anyone help. My 13yr old female cat indoor/outdoor cat has stressed and retreated completely outside, and lost trust in me after we brought a new 10yr old very placid and respectful rescue female home.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Next time you catch her don't let her outside again. There are some articles on this site about how to introduce cats. Tell us more. What happened when they met? How did you try to introduce them?
You don't want your resident cat to run away, I'm sure. That would be sad.
Some cats don't need or want other cats around.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry your resident cat is feeling stressed over the new cat.

As Timmer Timmer mentioned, TCS has several different articles on cat introductions, as well as stress. I'll post the links to them. Hopefully they'll be helpful.

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whittaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Next time you catch her don't let her outside again. There are some articles on this site about how to introduce cats. Tell us more. What happened when they met? How did you try to introduce them?
You don't want your resident cat to run away, I'm sure. That would be sad.
Some cats don't need or want other cats around.
I have done all the usual things for introducing. New cat is very chilled. Wilson came into sleep with me last night, knowing Tigger is shut in her room. And she will come get her food on the verandah. Wilson has always been like this, even with the cat she grew up with, recently died. However she relied on him to defend the patch cos she is so timid. I will read more on de stressing old girls. Thank you

Whittaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have done all the usual things for introducing. New cat is very chilled. Wilson came into sleep with me last night, knowing Tigger is shut in her room. And she will come get her food on the verandah. Wilson has always been like this, even with the cat she grew up with, recently died. However she relied on him to defend the patch cos she is so timid. I will read more on de stressing old girls. Thank you
PS. Wilson absolutely stresses hard when locked inside.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope the articles are helpful, and that she starts being a bit less stressed about the new cat.

Whittaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PS. Wilson absolutely stresses hard when locked inside.
Well last evening we had a break through. I know I'll sound like Wilson has me wrapped around her paw, but she is canny and stubborn and waaaay too smart...so 'PATIENCE' is the new mantra. She came inside, and sat in the same room as Tigger and ate. Not relaxed but accepting, and then went to 'her' bed for the night. This morning she was on alert, but ate and has strolled outside again.( Tigger is still not allowed outside yet.) I am getting some Bach flower and homeopathic drops to help confidence and anxiety and whatever else the homeopath thinks for Wilson.

Whittaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hope the articles are helpful, and that she starts being a bit less stressed about the new cat.
Yes thank you they confirm what I thought. Patience is a good thing to have.........