Stress him out or let him be?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give a quick update on my little man.

We went to the new vet on Saturday and it was definitely the most positive visit we've had in awhile. Not because of any good or bad news we got, but because I'm in love with the new vet and his staff. They were all very gentle with him and wrapped him up in a towel when they had to take him out of the room. Maybe this doesn't sound like much, but my previous vet's staff had dropped him in his carrier, basically wrestled with him to get bloodwork and were too strong when feeling his abdomen during exams. This new vet got up in his tummy and felt a good bit but he did it without making Bear swat and hiss which is very nice!

We didn't do much except look through his records/xrays to determine what's already been done and what the biggest issues are. We've put his breathing problems on top of the list, with his obesity and kidney issues close behind. They did bloodwork so we can check for diabetes and any thyroid issues while also checking on his kidneys. They're also going to pull his old labwork to compare.

I didn't ask about switching foods but I've put Bear on a strict diet of 2 - 2.25 cans a day. Whenever he's hungry, he only gets a little spoonful so that the 2 cans last throughout the day. Hopefully this keeps up and he drops weight!

Because the vet wanted to offer him some relief and suspects that his lung issues are allergy related, he gave him a shot of Dexamethasone. He said this would help any inflammation in the lungs from allergies. I was initially a little worried because it's not supposed to be given too much in cats with diabetes (and I suspect he has diabetes - we'll find out soon) but he seemed wonderful this weekend. I can't say it helped his breathing since he's still breathing loud and fast, but he was definitely the perkiest he's been in a long while. He also seemed to be moving better since I'm assuming this drug helped his arthritis a bit. It's not a long term treatment we can do but it was definitely nice to see him so happy. He spent the better part of the weekend outside, rolling in the leaves. :)

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! :clap:
This new vet sounds a lot nicer and more thorough. Glad you found him. :)
Hopefully all that bloodwork will give you some answers and we can get Bear on the right path to where he feels even better than he did this weekend!
Yayyyy! :D

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More good news! I got his bloodwork results back and everything seems fine! No thyroid problems and no diabetes. His kidney levels are, as usual, on the higher end of normal. BUN is at 50 (the high is 35) and rose 5 points from his last bloodwork 6 months ago. His Creatinine was 2.4 last time but is now 2.1. Since he's been staying pretty steady with his levels, the vet isn't too concerned.

He was also very happy and surprised that the Dexamethasone helped so well (although I think the crisp weather might be perking him up, too!). He said that rules out a few things since he didn't worsen with it, and he took a look at some old chest xrays and said there's nothing too alarming (like polyps, cancer, etc.). There's a bronchial pattern going on (the last vet said his bronchiols were too small) so we're putting him on prednisone.

My only concerns with prednisone are that it can cause diabetes when used over a longer period and will likely cause him to gain weight. He's on 5 mg daily for 5 days, and then he gets it every other day after that. His pills are split in half so I guess the dosage is really only 2.5 mg? If this doesn't work, the vet would like us to do an ultrasound to see if something hidden is there.

Thankfully he took his medicine this morning. This almost NEVER happens. I've literally tried every trick in the book to give him pills, capsules, powders and liquids. I hid the tiny half pill in his food this morning and he was so hungry that he practically inhaled it. I'm hoping he didn't notice it at all because he's been known to take the first dose and reject all the others!

Now for a question. Is Prednisone safe with his Adequan injections? I mentioned those injections in passing to the vet so I'm not sure he took them into consideration when prescribing this. Also, he gets 0.4 ml of Adequan once a month. The last vet told us to up it to every two weeks but I was worried about his kidneys since we hadn't done bloodwork for 6 months. Is every 3 weeks a good plan or should I really do the 2 week cycle? I know I need to ask my vet as well but you guys have a lot of first hand experience and often have comments that vets won't tell you. Thanks! I'm SO glad you all convinced me to take him to the vet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I DO think you need to ask the Vet about whether or not it's safe to give Prednisone with Adequan, and while you're at it, ask about the frequency of the Adequan.  I, personally, don't have any experience with either of these drugs, but hopefully others who have had to use them will respond.

Oh, and BTW, great news on all fronts on the Vet visit!  (sorry, I was away for several days so am just reading about the visit)  So what are you feeding him now...the same food, or are you trying to switch him over to at least a grain free? 

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's currently still on Fancy Feast and I'm trying to keep it somewhere between 2 and 2.5 cans a day.

I'll likely call the vet this weekend to discuss Adequan usage and switching food.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only concerns with prednisone are that it can cause diabetes when used over a longer period and will likely cause him to gain weight. He's on 5 mg daily for 5 days, and then he gets it every other day after that. His pills are split in half so I guess the dosage is really only 2.5 mg? If this doesn't work, the vet would like us to do an ultrasound to see if something hidden is there.
I'm pretty sure that I had just read a thread talking about prednisone and how cats handle it so much better than humans do...
Yup, here it is... http://www.thecatsite.com/t/248929/esmes-turn-for-needing-vibes#post_3251395
I'd go ahead and PM Laurie (LDG) and ask her about it. :nod: