Stress baby. that's the name of the game! I need some kitten help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I've been told that even if there is torti brindling in the fur, if the cat has any white on it anywhere, then it's a tri color/ calico.
That makes sense.

Well new interesting developments in the cat vs me world!

The boy (orange) gave me FITS pooping. 3 more trips to the vet later........

Now they both have the runs
. I've heard that's dangerous. They just started it tonight, and the vet isn't open till Monday. is having the runs life and death for a kitten?

On the plus side they gained 3 ounces each this week, and they started playing with each other a LOT

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not the expert, but I know, given their small body mass, that they can dehydrate quickly. And that is NOT good.

How bad is it...??

Hopefully someone with more kitten/ runs experience will chime in soon.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it was bad yesterday evening. but they seem ok this morning. No poop but no runs either. when they had the runs they also had a little trouble controlling themselves. it kind of came when it wanted to
. even in dad's hands

But they seem happy. they haven't learned how to lap water yet, but I put a lid out with a super thin layer of water in it, and they try to drink. they snort most of it but they get some

No crying, they sure are well behaved. in 6 days now I have yet to walk in to a crying kitten when i put them away. I have to wake them up every time. So at least they aren't finding themselves having to sit and cry.

They also have no problem sleeping 8 hours at night either.

I know I'm asking too many questions but I'm new at this tiny kitten thing. I've had cats but at no less than 10 weeks. All 3 of us are learning

P.S. How do I give other people awards here?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing that it's possible the diarrhea got bottled up behind the constipation, and that's why they had the runs for a day. As long as they aren't dehydrated. They are SOOOOOOOO cute!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't argue that. They're so cute it's sickening. lol. They love to sit and purr on my shoulder for some reason. Right after eating they're so cuddly it's great.

Anyway, the runs seem to have.....well, run.
They're gone. So everyone's happy now!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww love the pic! Daphne still likes to sit on my shoulder. She's just over a year old
You are really doing well with these little ones!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just made a new thread about a couple questions I've got.

To answer your questions, they're fine. more and more frisky every day. They're stabilizing at walking now and don't fall over very much, but it's very cute when they do. The little brown one has figured out she can pounce. She's not good at it, but she's learning. The little boy is turning out to be the loving one. I thought he'd be independant. but he insists on following me wherever i go. Well as fast as he can walk, but I don't think his eyesight is all that great because after a bit he'll just stop and sit down. then soemething else gets his attention.

They're happy, I'm worn out, and that's probably the best I could hope for right now.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience has been that boy kitties are often more loving and affectionate than females, but not exclusively.

I know this is hard, but I know that YOU know you are taking care of infants. And infants are a lot of hard work. If you need any bolstering, in addition to advice, you already know you can come to TCS.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm was so glad to hear the kittens are better - and what a wonderful job you're doing. Bless you for all you're doing. My own experience is my boy is more openly affectionate, but it's funny how individual they all are. But your babies are just so beautiful.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to chime in on the male/female affection angle - Daphne is a love bug. She isn't overly clingy, but enjoys sitting on my shoulder then sliding down into my arms so I can hold and pet her. She comes to me for loving and for play. She's a tortie like your little girl. I see nothing in Daphne that is less affectionate than Sebastian. Just my two cents

cats ma!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my god , i have just caught up with this thread and i just have to say
'GOOD ON YA MATE' on a job well done, you truly are a guardian angel for these little babies and we all know that their love will be returned to you ten fold.
I dont know you but i want to say how proud of you i am for taking on the responsibilities and for truly loving these little beauties and that they are very fortunate to have you.
Keep up the great work.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just catching up on this thread and so happy for you and your new family. They are adorable and you are doing a great job. I know how hard and worrying it is to rescue very young kittens - all mine were rescues, and Dushka was only 3 weeks old when I found her on the street with serious pneumonia. One thing that you may not know and it may help you not to worry, is how to check them for dehydration. Take hold of the scruff of the neck and pinch a good fold of skin. Let go and if the skin returns into place within a second or two then it is OK. If the skin stays up for any length of time then the kitty is dehydrated and needs fluids fast. These can be administered sub-Q ( which means 'under the skin') or by syringe, very carefully into the side of the mouth. Good luck, there is lots of info on this site to help you through all stages of their development.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that hydration test is a great suggestion. Thank you! When I wake them up for dinner i'll check on that. I'm not worried about wilbur. he's the same piggy he always was.

FYI I named the little girl. Sissy is her name. I got it because I'd pick up Wilbur and ask him "Where's your sissy?" as in sister.

Corny? yes. Fitting? yes.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Wow that hydration test is a great suggestion. Thank you! When I wake them up for dinner i'll check on that. I'm not worried about wilbur. he's the same piggy he always was.

FYI I named the little girl. Sissy is her name. I got it because I'd pick up Wilbur and ask him "Where's your sissy?" as in sister.

Corny? yes. Fitting? yes.
Awww corny, yes but so sweet! Sissy was one of my nicknames growing up.
I am glad things are going well

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG being gone for a couple days I sure did miss alot!! You're still doing a WONDERFULL job and did I mention that the newest picture is cute as can be??? Wilbur and Sissy!! What a pair!!! You probably saved their lives by taking them in!! Im going to go check up on your other threads! But Im back now! (my kids were sick, so I didn't get much time in between poop puke and pee!)
Keep up the good work!!