Stray/Trapped Cat Vomiting

qtpidani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I trapped a 12-16 month old lady a week and a half ago, and looking for some advice. I'm pretty certain she has lived outside her entire life and had 1 litter of 1 surviving kitten (which I rehomed).

I trapped this lady and her poop has been normal. Gray, hard at first but I assumed it was from eating live prey outside, supplemented with the kibble and wet food I leave out.

We've made tremendous progress and she trusts me, to where she comes to me (within her big dog kennel) and loves affection. She is however, terrified and refuses to leave the kennel, and the last 5-7'ish nights, she has throw up all over her blankets and I notice she burps a lot. Getting to the vet, at this point, would be iffy given her fear.

If she had worms, wouldn't her poop be more like diarrhea? Could this be stress from trapping her? Should I try feeding her frozen raw to see if her system tolerates that better? My only concern is that I'm trying to find her a home and I'm not sure they'd be willing to continue the raw. I'm currently giving her wet food 2-2.5 cans per day (she is a little thing, maybe 7-8lbs at most and do leave Petcurean kibble for her but she doesn't really like kibble.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what could be the issue? At first, like I mentioned, I thought it was stress, but I'm starting to get a touch concerned (my dog has IBD so I'm familiar with those symptoms and this feels similar) but I know she's had a LOT of changes recently and hoping it's just her adjusting...

Picture is of her crawling into my lap today, on her own, and the stare she gives me regularly. I feel like she's trying to tell me something 🥰

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww. She is a little kitty. Stress can certainly be a factor but a vet visit is really important. It could be anything causing the vomiting and since she has been an outside kitty, she needs to be checked for parasites, spayed and thoroughly checked out. I know she will be scared but I have had soooo many ferals that I needed to socialize for adoption and vet checks are necessary. If you think she is too nervous about it, perhaps the vet can give you something to calm her. You can always try something like Feliway. In my experience, they are scared of the first vet check but they do get over it snd many even become more focused on the human they trust as a result. It may take time for her to forgive but cats are very forgiving creatures. Somehow they begin to understand that we do these things because we love them and want the best for them. I think that changing her food could go either way. Cats are not great about changes. If you change it, do it gradually. She has already been through a lot of changes lately. Wet food is better for her than kibbles. Sounds like she was a bit constipated at first. Be sure she is drinking enough. Goodness she is precious! Not much more than a kitten herself and she already had babies. Poor sweet one! She is very lucky to have you taking care of her. She is definitely looking at you with love! :catrub: Thank you for saving her and her baby! Please do let us know how she is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qtpidani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was planning to call the vet, to get her checked out, but was hoping to gain a bit more of her trust. She completely trusts me within the confines of the kennel, but immediately becomes fearful even with me just holding her when not sitting in the kennel with her (my poor back, LOL!).

I did have a kitten dose of revolution that I used on her today, even though she shouldn't have fleas given the outside temps here (SE Wisconsin -- so cold!) But I developed small red non-itchy bumps on my forearm so figured it couldn't hurt on the chance she had 1 or 2 hanging on that I didn't see. I also know it does treat some worms as well, if that were maybe the issue.

I've always had cats, but strays are fairly new to me, and even more so, little cats like her. My guys are all very healthy and larger :)

She is drinking a decent amount of water based on her water bowl and her litter box :) I honestly thought she was pretty reliant on me feeding her when she was outside, because I fed her a lot, but given her "tummy upset", I'm not so sure.

I'm not sure why I never thought of feliway, so thank you for that suggestion! And I definitely plan to get her spayed. No more babies for her!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have things pretty well covered. I know the trust factor is iffy when you are developing a bond with a stray or feral. I have been through that concern too. Hopefully it is simply stress with so many new scents, sounds and a whole new world for her. I just have to stress the vet factor too. There are just so many variables when bringing a kitty in. You want to bond but you want to check for any problems too. It’s a tough call sometimes but bottom line is her health first. I keep small carriers inside of the kennels or cages I use to act as a safe sanctuary for the ferals. It is sort of like having their turtle shell to travel in anywhere they need to go. I find that helps them feel more secure if I have to take them to the vet since the small carrier can go with them and it carries their scent as well as being a retreat for them at the vet office. Traveling inside their own house seems to ease some of their fears and when you go back home you just put the small carrier inside the kennel and open the door to let them come out when they feel safe again. All the kitties here have their own small carrier that has become their place to nap, get treats or to hide their favorite toys from the others. Lol I hope she calms down and it buys you time to bond more before the vet. :catrub: