Stray Pregnant Cat - When Will She Deliver?

Julesif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
0F661473-7E09-4A14-B7DF-6151017B9A57.jpeg
DDF2501E-F658-4C1F-A29D-156BA8CB1989.jpeg
Hi there!

My son spent months getting a feral cat in our neighborhood acclimated to people after her second litter. Unfortunately, it was not before she got pregnant again. Exactly one month ago, 1/26, we took her to the vet to get shots and schedule her to be spayed but an ultrasound confirmed that she has another litter on the way. The vet estimated that she had 3-4 weeks to go. Last Monday, I brought her inside, where she’s stayed, so she doesn’t have her kittens under the neighbor’s house again. For the most part, she’s made the full conversion from feral cat to house cat (I’ve never had such an affectionate cat), the only exception being the litter box and she cries and keeps the kids and I up half the night. She really wants to do her business outside and since she can’t, she does it on my couch (after the first time, I covered it with a waterproof mattress pad and puppy pads so it’s not the end of the world).

Every day I think she can’t get any bigger but she does. Last Thursday she barely ate so i thought she’d go into labor soon but her appetite came back the next day (I noticed over the weekend that she has a tapeworm - no flea meds because of the pregnancy - and I picked up dewormer today). She sleeps most of the day, sometimes in her birthing box, sometimes under my bed, but mostly on the bathroom tile or counter where it’s cool. She licks herself whenever she’s awake but I think it’s the fleas. I never saw her in heat so I don’t know when she got pregnant. Do all cats stop eating, start licking, and act anxious before they go into labor? It’s her third time so I don’t know if that matters. Any idea if she may actually go into labor soon? My husband swears she’s holding them in until she can get back outside! Thanks for help/guesses . I’ve never had an animal that wasn’t fixed before so this is a first for me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julesif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A change in behavior can indicate impending labor. Here’s an article that will give you more info on this and other signs that will let you know when the kittens are on their way: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?
Thanks! I guess the vet’s estimate was off because she’s not doing any of those things consistently. I have been checking her temp using an ear thermometer (for people though) and her temp has been under 100 degrees for several days so I guess it’s not accurate. I’m so miserable for her that you’d think I was 9 months pregnant.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I've recently been getting a cat use to using a tray - she's not feral, but did yowl and yowl. I tried trays in two places and in the end she prefers the covered one, with wood pellet unscented, non clumping litter (and clear anything at least twice a day). I've been very consistent not letting her out and I think other than that is isn't really interested, but of course it could be different for yours.

I understand pregnant cats can have flea treatments on advice of vets. Mine recommended Advantage and my cat was fine.

All the best with the birth.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Julesif -- That's a very attractive cat! Keep us posted on her progress and kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try putting dirt in her litter box since she is accustomed to going outside. She will eventually adjust to going in the box.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some TCS members have had success with a litter called "Cat Attract". I have not used it, but you cover the litter of your choice with an inch or two of "Cat Attract". You might try two litter boxes, one like Sarthur2 suggests, litter topped with dirt.

Julesif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the suggestions! After a week plus of having access to a litter box with cat attract litter, she’s finally using it to pee. Still using the couch though. And still no kittens. 3-4 weeks has turned to five weeks and she doesn’t look any closer to birth. The vet thought for sure she’d go this week when I talked to her on Monday. If I couldn’t feel the kittens rolling around in her belly, I’d swear she was faking it!

Julesif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
7CF22510-AD35-4EAB-9C96-5ED24171334E.jpeg
Still pregnant! She basically sleeps and eats all day. Does anyone know if cat pregnancies are similar to women in that each one usually gets easier and faster? This is her belly today - she likes to lay on my desk while I work and I get to watch the kittens dance around in her belly. Fun for me but bad for my productivity! (The patch where her hair is short is from the vet shaving her to do an ultrasound 5+ weeks ago)

Julesif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sasha is still pregnant - six weeks ago today the vet said it would be 3-4 weeks until she delivered. All week, I’ve been finding her in strange places - under a chair, under the ironing board, hiding in my husband’s closet but she is still eating as much as always and nothing else seems different. I’m starting to think the vet meant she was 3-4 weeks along but even that would make her 9-10 weeks by now. The waiting is killing me!!!

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully soon!! The waiting was killing me as well, then poof, it happened.
Maybe your Sasha will “poof” into labour too!
Lol

Julesif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha! I hope so! She’s being aggressive towards our other cat and dog this morning when normally she tries to be affectionate with them.

Julesif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sasha is still pregnant. I noticed a thick, dark discharge stuck to the fur around her genitals this morning so I thought today would FINALLY be the day. But, she’s acting like she always does - sleeps, eats, and constantly bathes herself. She just finished giving my chin, neck, and chest a bath too! She’s super affectionate - as soon as I lay down, she jumps up on the bed, curls up on my chest with her face an inch from mine, and purrs loudly. No aggitation, crying, or anymore nesting than she’s been doing for weeks. The kittens have been pretty still for the last two days - some movement but not like the cirque du soleil show they’ve had going on. It scared me until I finally felt them kicking. And I swear she looks smaller or I’ve just gotten used to her size. The saga continues...

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s beautiful- thank you so much for taking her in . Sounds like she may have had a home once as she is affectionate. Fingers crossed she will deliver soon x

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow it sounds like you have had a very long wait. Hopefully she'll have them soon - the last few days felt like forever, but it does sound like she is close.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the kittens have dropped down closer to the birth canal. This occurs at the end and makes the cat look smaller.

She’ll have them soon!

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if the belly seems "smaller" and the activity is less, it will be soon. As she also lost her plug, I'd say within 48 hours you'll be the proud mom of tiny kittens. Good luck!

Julesif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. I feel much better! If I go into the bathroom/closet area, she gets into her box and rolls onto her back for belly rubs but then leaves as soon as I do. Hopefully by this time tomorrow, I’ll be able to post kitten pictures.

Attachments

Julesif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
4D9A91B2-72F7-4FEA-94C7-FFB27A8F3813.jpeg
Help! I think she’s in labor but I can’t tell for sure. Is this a baby??? She’s not really pushing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just let things happen. She may be losing her mucus plug. Stay calm.