Stray Pregnant Cat! Updated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have seven kittens that are 3 weeks old today. I am going to begin weaning them next week but I don’t really know how considering I have to keep them in a giant box so they do not roam too much. Any suggestions?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will need to roam eventually to run and develop normally. Maybe you could let them explore in your presence? About now they should be offered some canned cat/kitten food watered down into a slurry with kitten replacement milk, goat's milk, or even water in a saucer. You can also dab a little on their lips to give them a taste and they usually go right for it. Be prepared for a big mess, they will walk in it and have food all over while they are learning. Mama will stop cleaning them up once they start eating too, so a litter box will have to be introduced too, I usually started with a cardboard 'flat' with non clumping litter, don't use clumping at first because they may be eating the litter too, and clumping can bind up in their stomachs/intestines. They will eventually need a room to roam in taht is kitten proof, no blind cords, large open containers of water, plants, or electrical cords until you see if they leave them alone. You can eventually leave some kitten chow for them to chew on too.
Kittens should be with their mother and siblings for twelve weeks to learn their manners and limits on playing. This is the time they learn not to bite and scratch too hard, so they play nice with their new human family. If it isn't possible, give them at least 8-10 weeks to learn a little, and educate the new forever homes that they will need instruction on not playing too rough. This is an exciting time in their development, they are tiny bundles of energy, so just keep thinking, it's not forever, it will fly by quickly,and you will miss them when they leave for new homes. So will mama. Keep us posted, and give us pictures! PS I had seven too once, it was exhausting trying to keep up with them, they did eventually all find homes and I still think of them often!

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the quick response!! We currently have them and momma in a heated porch area so that they are away from my indoor cat (who hates them haha). I thought about cleaning it up really well so that they can roam but am concerned because I am not home to watch them during the day. I will have to try and figure out something! Also, here is a picture of the cuties this morning!

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they now? Could you bring them to a bathroom area? Or even into your bedroom? They do need more space.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are 3 weeks old today. I do not want them in the house as it causes behavioral issues for my indoor cat. My thought is I should try sectioning off a safe section of the room they are in now and let them roam there.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband just texted me and said that momma cat is taking them out of the box and letting them roam so she is already starting the process for me! Haha. When I get home, I am going to clean up their room and make it safe so that they can roam freely whenever they want.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a good idea to clean the room so they can play. Give them some toys - balls and play mice.

Also, most kittens need to nurse mom until they are eating well on their own, which is usually between 5-8 weeks. Most kittens won't even drink slurry until they have baby teeth at 4 weeks.

They are adorable. Keep us posted!

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We cleaned and let them roam for a bit with our supervision. They were very mobile! Do you suggest we let them roam all the time or only when we are home? Here are some pics!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do they have their own small space to roam that is 100% safe? If not, under supervision is best for a few more weeks.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The room they are in is pretty large. I was worried that they’d get too far from each other and get cold. We kitten proofed the room as best as we could. The only thing in there is a lamp, heater, food, water and litter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you give them something to climb or perch on? A cat tree perhaps?

And toys? Some play mice and balls?

Is the heater safe?

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to get kitten food and milk replacement tomorrow to start making them food. I will get toys and stuff for them too. The heater is safe. When they were getting close to it, momma pulled them away too so I think she will watch them closely.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the heater the kind that blows warm air but does not have hot elements they could get burned on?

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it just blows warm air. It also shuts off if it’s knocked over.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little update! The babies are doing so well. :hearthrob: They are so playful now. Always running and bugging mom! They will be five weeks old on 1/1/18. I have found homes for all but one. The runt is still considerably smaller than the rest but he keeps up. Haven’t seen him eat any solid food yet like the others, and he stays pretty close to mom at all times. They are starting to use the litter as well. Growing up so fast!!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, let the kittens stay with mom until they are twelve weeks old. During the eight to twelve weeks period is when mom teaches them their cat social skills.