Stray Newborn Kitten Suddenly Limp

Queenoz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a neighbor stray cat that we started feeding a couple of months ago. One day last week or so her stomach was really bloated, then she didn't eat all her feed the next day and stayed away, a couple days later we found 2 kittens under a wood pile. After we found them she put her kittens in the wall of our garage so we put gloves on and moved them into a box with clothing with the mothers hair on the clothes. This was Sunday or Monday. She stayed there fine until today. We noticed she moved her kittens back under the pile. Using gloves we moved them back, the one I had was meowing like a normal kitten. The one my boyfriend had was a bit quiet but we didn't think there was anything wrong.

Later right before a storm was coming she tried moving her kittens back to the wood pile, again. My boyfriend found the one but the other I found a tad bit further away from under the pile, a small piece of wood was leaning on another piece and it was on top of it but the mother could have put it there as it was away from the other one and it was hard for us to find. We're not sure if got hit or stepped on. We put it back and noticed the mother ignoring it, and it wasn't meowing or responding like it was the day before and barely moved.

We didn't know what to do so we got kitten formula. When we came back to feed the kitten was by the mother's butt and being ignored it seemed. My boyfriend tried feeding it but seemed unresponsive. It didn't suckle but was licking some. Didn't meow. It was very limp and would fall over on its side. It wiggled some. It's tail would wag and back legs were more responsive, the front legs were responsive a bit but seemed to be having trouble, it had trouble holding its head up. My boyfriend rubbed it for a while and moved it around, the kitten did pee after feeding and mother helped clean up when we showed it to her, but over all she was ignoring it. He tried feeling the bones to see if they were broken or felt different from the other kitten and he didn't seem to find anything. He tried to get it to meow and it started responding a bit more to getting its ears touches and did start moving a bit more. We put it back with its mother in the box and the mother was licking it and responding to it.

I don't know what happened. This is the first time I've ever tried to care for a kitten. It's eyes are still closed and barely a week old. The other kitten is fine and they were cuddling the day before. I think the mother moved them because the one kitten was becoming sick but I don't know for sure. I don't know what to do besides try to feed it formula and try honey or sugar water to help stimulate it like I've read. I don't know if the vet is open tomorrow or if a vet could save it if it was stepped on or has a disease. Any help, please?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep the baby warm ( very important!) and keep feeding it. Stimulate it to go to the bathroom by gently rubbing the tummy and hind end with a warm, damp, soft cloth if Mom won’t lick the area. catsknowme catsknowme might have some tips.
Put the baby to Moms’ belly to nurse. You may have to hold it in place a bit since it seems weak. If the cat is a new Mother she may not understand how to care for the babies yet. Encourage mom to stay involved with them. It is possible the baby is ill but also that it got cold or missed feeding. They feed often. Just keep trying and get all to the vet as soon as possible. Don’t give up!
Please post back with updates! Others will be posting to you I am sure. Thank you so much for helping these kitties!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 2 biggest concerns are hypothermia and dehydration. I agree with warming but I don't think feeding formula is wise. Try rubbing white Karo syrup or honey onto the kitten's gums and follow up with tiny but frequent doses of pedialyte/filtered water at a 50/50 ratio. The mama cat probably realizes the baby is in serious condition and her instinct is to protect the healthiest kitten. If the kitten is limp, continue massaging lightly and frequent repositioning, to help keep bloodflow and lymph moving through. As it gets more alert, you can try adding a tiny bit of formula to the pedialyte solution.
Our member Hissy has a wonderful website: www.kitten-rescue.com. Her advice is pretty spot-on with the latest research.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad you found this site - and this forum. There are lots of members here with all kinds of experience in all kinds of situations - - - plus lots of people who you can lean on when things get tough and scary. And I'm sure - particularly since you've never dealt with this before - that every bit of this feels overwhelming. I definitely want to say a big yeah to you for caring about this little one!!!

Good advice above from two knowledgeable members - Jcatbird Jcatbird and catsknowme catsknowme . Definitely take a look at the links soon as you can - I think you'll find them helpful!!

Do you know if mom is someone's indoor/outdoor or totally outdoor kitty (I should say someone irresponsible's indoor/outdoor or totally outdoor unfixed kitty), or is she a stray or feral? (I know you called her a stray - - but not everyone's aware of what the difference really is - it can be confusing). How friendly is she? It sounds like she's letting you get very close to both kittens, so I'm guessing she's at least fairly friendly to you? And at this point - mom, healthy kitten, and the one you're worried about are together in a box in your garage, right? It's dicey moving a mom and teensy babies (because often what you're experiencing is exactly what happens - mom takes them right back where she initially felt safe with them). Please know I'm not trying to criticize - I know you were absolutely doing what you thought was best for them. It's SO tough - 9 times out of 10 moms move them right back to where they started, or even move them somewhere completely different and further away (it's be so nice if mama kitties understood us when we say "we're trying to help you and your little family!" :(). I'm not sure where you're located - so don't know how cold it gets at night, but both members are so right when they talk about warmth & dehydration being a huge issue. It's as important - or even more so - than being hungry. If mom lets you - the Karo syrup advice is great.

I will note that as far as warmth - don't put a human heating pad in with mom and kittens. They get too hot. If kittens were older, they (like mamma) could move off and on the heating pad as necessary, but these guys are too young to be able to do that.

I do think if it were me - - I'd be on the phone ASAP in the morning to try and get this little one seen by a vet as quickly as possible (if that's something you can do financially). If you don't have a vet - call a spay/neuter clinic or even local shelters - - they'll all have vets they can recommend. It sounds like time is of the essence - as it truly does sound like she might be rejecting it. As catsknowme catsknowme noted - it's SO sad, but mammas do often sense if something's not right with a kitten and push it aside to focus all milk, etc. on the ones they feel will make it. I will say too that sometimes first-time moms can be just plain squirrely about their first litter - - rejecting for reasons that aren't, in reality, life or death.

But if she IS rejecting it for a viable physical reason, the vet will be able to hopefully let you know what mamma's sensing, which would let you know if you should try taking this one on as a bottle baby (which - again - please read the websites - -- you and your boyfriend sound VERY caring and compassionate - - but you do need to know what you're getting into if you take the little one on as an orphan. Between keeping him warm but not too warm, full but not overfed (every few hours 24/7 initially!!!), stimulating, etc - - - although it's very rewarding when it works!!!

Keep us posted!!!!!!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any updates? I forgot to mention that even if the kitten's spirit seems to have flown, put karo on the gums and monitor the gums for color as well. Cold kittens get stiff and comatose but on very rare occasion can be revived. If they do revive, it is a touch and go situation; in addition to reviving efforts, I do a few deep breaths to clear out my lungs then tent a towel over my head and breath light puffs of air near the kitten's nose. I also massage the cold ears. I keep them in a warm nest with heated rice/cornmeal/grits socks nearby. When working with them, I keep them on the heated socks, on my lap, with layered towels underneath to keep me from overheating. If the end does come, I wait hours before burial.
7 years ago, I almost buried my sidekick Lance; he looked expired, very stiff and limp. Because my friend's teen foster girls were visiting, to help me with 25 (yes, XXV) bottle babies, I delayed burial until after they went home. After they left, I fell asleep HARD for a couple of hours. When I got up to bury Lance and resume feeding preparations, I heard a slight noise so I rubbed karo on Lance's gums and did emergency revival.
This is Lance now: 20181024_154838.jpg

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes - would love an update - been thinking about you and your little family all night.

I could kick myself for not saying last night in my post last night the main thing I meant to say. Obviously depending on what's happening at this point ---is it an option to bring Mom and babies inside for now? Into a small room (even a bathroom will do if that's all you have)? That way the whole family will be safe, and you can keep a close eye on both babies - - but especially the littlest one.

catsknowme catsknowme ---wow ---- that made me tear up! So glad you took that nap - - - bet Lance is glad too! Karo syrup can really be an amazing help when kitties crash - - but that might be THE biggest turnaround I've ever heard of!!!!!!!!

I hope things are looking up for you guys - - - you've got people pulling for you and the furry family here!