stray mom cat and newborn kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paj24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm happy to report that everyone is doing great, the kittens are 9 days old today and getting so big and quite adorable!!!! Chloe has relaxed and I think she knows now that we (my daughter and I) only wanted to help her because she no longer growls or hisses when I come in to bring her food, water or milk replacement formula. she seems to be at peace , look a little exhausted still and even though we put blankets down she still wont go on top of them. I'm amazed at how fast the kittens are growing and last night was the first time Chloe let my daughter pet and even pick one of the babies up. This has truly been an adventure, taking its toll on us all but I wouldn't have done it any other way.  I know with the freezing temperatures they wouldn't have made made it and looking at them now, all strong and healthy makes us feel so good.  We still have to figure out how and when the kittens switch to kitten food and when they will need to be taken to the vet, although I heard there are organizations will assist with costs until they are adopted. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know, also at what point can I take Chloe to be spayed? I've taken a few pics but shes only now letting us get close so I'll post more soon...

updates to follow, thanks for everyone's help!!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How wonderful everyone is doing so well!

Kittens will begin getting in to moms food dish about 3 1/2 weeks old. Be sure to use a shallow dish with canned so they can get to it, this is how they learn about food, watching mom and checking it out for themselves.

You will see at a point that they are eating plenty on their own, and nursing becomes more of a comfort to them than as their main food source. Once they get to this point, which is about 6 weeks old, at any time you can pull the kittens, separating them completely (I always hate this part) as mom needs to dry up for 7-10 days, then she will be spayed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pray you are blessed for taking in this desperate mother, the family is beautiful! Thanks so much for the update.It is so sad that she doesn't seem to know what a blanket is. Watch that water bowl, you might want to put it outside the tub, I shudder to think a baby could crawl inside. All the luck, and thanks again for being an angel!

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh! They Are So Cute! That is wonderful news that Chloe is now relaxed with you and your daughter, and letting you pick up kitten. That will be so important in their socialization! Be prepared to fall in love with them all! They look to be mostly tuxedo kittens like Chloe? I have been trawling the site looking for updates - Thank You for the current progress - You know everyone on this site love kitties - Especially Baby Kitties! Keep us posted !

Last edited by a moderator: