Stray Mom And Kittens Found In Backyard

Mollyjmckinnon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriends grandparents found a stray mom cat in their backyard with her kittens. We don’t know how long they’ve been there or how old the kittens are. The kittens are also out of reach, we think there are two of them.
The grandparents put dry cat food and water out for the mom and asked my boyfriend to check on them while they’re out of town. After seeing the mom today I’m concerned about her size. She is very small and skinny and you can see all of her bones. She is super friendly and wanted tons of love and attention, she wasn’t alarmed by us trying to get a better look at the kitties. Anyways, I find myself worried that because of her size that she may not be producing milk for her babies? Is this a valid concern?
We don’t want to disrupt the kittens if it’s not necessary but are wondering if we should pick up kitten formula and try to bottle feed them. If anyone has any suggestions or experience please share, thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much are you willing to do, what is possible for you?
The best were if you took them all inside! As she is friendly and wanna help, this shouldnt be no problem.
This way its easiest to help them adequately, and be sure the kittens dont become homeless semiferales, but gets proper socialization and are easy to adopt out.

Pics are welcome, this way we can see how old the kittens are.

Yes, by all means, during the time, please do give her all food you can - preferably kitten type. Goats milk or kmr too.
Its probably enough.

It sounds as she would accept you helping the kittens with handfeeding, but if you arent knowleable, it has some risks. Its easy to get the kmr into the air tube...
If necessary, its the only way to go, but if not necessary, better to trust momma.

ps the standard to KNOW if they get enough is to weigh them every day: if they add 10+ grammes a day, good, if not consider supplement feeding...