Stray kitty with scabbed/matted ears

Metal Fox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the last two weeks or so I've been taking care of a skinny abandoned stray kitty that came to me. I've given her medicine to help with any flees and mange/mites that she had. She has scabbed ears from the mange and I'm not sure if I should slowly remove them with corn starch. It looks more like matted fur, but I'm pretty sure it's a mix of matted fur and scabs. For another kitten that had the same problem I wash the kitten and then put cornstarch on her ears and slowly removed it and her ears were perfectly fine after a few days. But I'm not sure if I should do that again because I don't want to hurt the kitty although it seemed that it didn't hurt the first kitten that I did it too. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What medication have you used? I have never used cornstarch, so I am at a loss there, but I have used both coconut oil and olive oil after a lime sulfur treatment to help with scabbing and matting. They were mild cases, though.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How do you use the cornstarch to do that? That's a new one on me, but sometimes the old home remedies work great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Metal Fox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you use the cornstarch to do that? That's a new one on me, but sometimes the old home remedies work great.
The cornstarch was something I read on Google, it said to sprinkle corn starch on the mats and to rub it with your fingers, then the mats will be easier to remove.

Metal Fox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What medication have you used? I have never used cornstarch, so I am at a loss there, but I have used both coconut oil and olive oil after a lime sulfur treatment to help with scabbing and matting. They were mild cases, though.
I used borderline, which was the only thing the vet had available here. But I've also mixed a small amount of apple cider vinegar with tuna water in her food cause I've read that helped. As well as brushed in coconut oil in her fur. The cornstarch was the first thing that popped up when I googled how to remove matted fur on a cat.

Metal Fox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used coconut oil on her ears and combed it and it helped a lot, thanks! She liked it for a little bit, but I wasn't able to do the second her cause she didn't want to hold still anymore.