Stray kitty turns out to be neglected neighbors' kitty, now they want her back! Help!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about this Mama kitty & her babies for days; I'm so hoping things are going ok.
[/QUOTE think I'd call them back and tell them that sorry, you were mistaken, it's not their cat, and the owners already showed up with pictures and vet records-and that's all they need to know- and that true owner is YOU]
I think that's a great idea, although you might have to convince them that the "original owners" decided to let you keep the kitties.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they never come over, and if she's going to be an indoor cat, that probably won't be a problem, as I don't see them coming over for tea!
And she could contact local rescue groups for courtesy listings for the kittens, until one of the groups could take them in, and that would eliminate the flyers in her immediate area
. And post them singularly- a group might be recognized, but individual kittens, I'm betting, wouldn't be

If they do see her later, then, since you weren't repaid for the vet bill, you are keeping her, since the original owners took such bad care of her.

How did it go? If you did end up giving her back, maybe she'll find her way back- if that happens, just keep her
. If they call, nope, you haven't seen "their cat''

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

I know this might sound bad, but this is what I'd do:

I would not give her those cats back ever. I would lie or do whatever to make sure she didn't get that. I don't care if that's wrong, but she obviously wasn't taking care of them.
It's not wrong. Property rights don't take precedence over animal welfare.

Can you pay her off? Possibly she will accept a small sum for each cat--$30, maybe, which is about what a shelter would charge--in exchange for letting you have them?

If the cats were flea-ridden and undernourished, surely she cannot have enough emotional attachment to them to want to keep them...

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow, I just jumped in and read all of that, I need an update! What happened?!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you haven't already, I would keep mama and the kittens inside so that if the women comes by to get them she will not be able to steal them. That would be terrible if one day you woke up just to find that she had taken them back after the fight that you have gone through to keep them.

Good luck and I hope you can find them all GOOD homes.