Stray Kittens With Eye Infection

AmaAmadeus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I'm currently on holidays and a stray cat came to our backyard with her three kittens. She is quite friendly but not very familiar with people it seeems, so she doesn't come very close. We've been feeding her and her little ones for about two weeks now but I've noticed that the kittens have some problem with their eyes. There seems to be pus discharge from the eyes, they are watery and the kitties sneeze every once in a while. The problem is that there isn't a vet around as the place is quite remote and even if there was we couldn't possibly catch them and take them there as they're really afraid to approach us. So i can't even catch them and clean their eyes... Their appetite is pretty good, they eat and play around. I've read that if this is herpes virus lysine could help, but I'm not sure if i should give it to them. Any suggestions as to what i could possibly feed them to get better?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you get a little bit of honey into their food, now and then?
Can you try sitting out by the food, not too close at first, then gradually closer, to try and be able to wipe those eyes?

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you DO get a chance to catch them, wipe some neosporin cream right into those eyes. I used it on mine and she started clearing up right away:
Day 1

Day 3
20180709_084444.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmaAmadeus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you get a little bit of honey into their food, now and then?
Can you try sitting out by the food, not too close at first, then gradually closer, to try and be able to wipe those eyes?
If honey is going to help, then yes i can do that. And I'll start doing what you suggested by getting gradually closer. Thank you!!

AmaAmadeus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you DO get a chance to catch them, wipe some neosporin cream right into those eyes. I used it on mine and she started clearing up right away:
Day 1

Day 3
View attachment 249480
Wow it truly worked, i hope i will be able to do that. So glad your cat is better!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet gave me terramycin ointment for my kittens eye infection when we found her. I googled it, and it seems that neosporin (the regular ointment kind,) is commonly substituted for this. Since the terramycin worked amazingly well, I'd say try it if you can catch them. Keep working on getting closer!
terramycin eye ointment

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you were able to catch them in a humane trap, could you bring them inside? What do you plan to do with them when you leave?

AmaAmadeus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet gave me terramycin ointment for my kittens eye infection when we found her. I googled it, and it seems that neosporin (the regular ointment kind,) is commonly substituted for this. Since the terramycin worked amazingly well, I'd say try it if you can catch them. Keep working on getting closer!
terramycin eye ointment
Thanks a lot! I will get neosporin then. I've managed to get closer to them, so one day of these days i will attempt to catch them.

AmaAmadeus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you were able to catch them in a humane trap, could you bring them inside? What do you plan to do with them when you leave?
Yes the problem is that i don't have such a trap here. When i leave my parents who live there will take care of them until they get better and then we'll see what to do.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A trapping method like this should be fairly easy. I've caught before using a cardboard box and a stick like you'd see in a silly movie. Tie a string to the stick and yank it away when the cat comes in for a snack. I think the only way you're gonna treat those eye infections is with direct contact.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as you can manage would be best. There is a risk that they could lose their eyesight without intervention. This is also the time to socialize the kittens and to spay the mother.