Stray Kitten

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a kitten yesterday who needs my help, and I need yours. She is litteraly skin and bones, and frittened of people. I have a squirrel trap, but even if I set it up, I don;t think she would even set it off, she is so thin. I am tempted just to pick her up and take her inside to care for her, is this the best hting? I don't want her to be scared of me forever but she needs a vet as she is kinda lethargic and is missing a back paw(could just be a birth defect). I gave her a can of food yesterday at about noon along with some oatmeal(uncooked but soaked in water) and a peice of raw bacon. THen another can yesterday evening. I haven't seen her today but something came and ate her food last night, whether or not it was her, i dont know. I'm afraid if I don't act now then she will get hit by a car or will run off and I'll just have to worry for the rest of my life :/. What should I do and what kind of food do you suggest?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you CAN pick her up, bring her inside and isolate her in a small room, dog cage, something like that. We find the bathroom works pretty well, especially if it has a tile floor, easier to clean up and disinfect, if it becomes necessary.

I would wear gloves, at least rubber gloves, if you're afraid she might get frantic when you pick her up.

Bring her inside and give her a small litter box, food, and water. Then, take her to the vet to get checked over for the really nasty stuff. Expect her to have fleas and intestinal parasites, likely worms. All of those are very treatable, if you find them.

Without a foot, she will not likely last very long outdoors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you! You have just confirmed what I was already thinking about getting her inside and I was planning on using the bathroom as her safe room. I think she will let me get close enough so if I see her then I will scoop her up. I don't think she is over 6 months old based on what I have been reading. I told my mom that a few minutes ago and mentioned that if I see her I think I should just grab her and take her home and she didnt say no so I'll take that as a go ahead. I will be going over to my grandmothers(where she is) in an hour. I am planning on using the breeze litter box system but will problably just use fresh step litter once the breeze litter runs out. I am also planning on feeding her kitten chow. Does that sound good?? Pray that she'll be there and I can get her!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ifoster

I am planning on using the breeze litter box system but will problably just use fresh step litter once the breeze litter runs out. I am also planning on feeding her kitten chow. Does that sound good?? Pray that she'll be there and I can get her!!
Since this kitten will have worms and could have protozoa parasites, keep the litter box as simple as possible - literally just a plain litter box. You need to be able to clean it thoroughly and easily, or throw it out. The breeze looks to complicated for that and too expensive to throw away. You may also want to avoid heavily scented litters for now since this is a kitten used to using dirt and grass.
As for kitten chow, it's better than nothing, but there are better kitten foods.

If this kitten is more than 8 weeks old she will probably try to bite you. If you're not going to use a trap you better have a carrier ready - stand the carrier up on it's end and put the kitten in from above.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Since this kitten will have worms and could have protozoa parasites, keep the litter box as simple as possible - literally just a plain litter box. You need to be able to clean it thoroughly and easily, or throw it out. The breeze looks to complicated for that and too expensive to throw away. You may also want to avoid heavily scented litters for now since this is a kitten used to using dirt and grass.
As for kitten chow, it's better than nothing, but there are better kitten foods.

If this kitten is more than 8 weeks old she will probably try to bite you. If you're not going to use a trap you better have a carrier ready - stand the carrier up on it's end and put the kitten in from above.
Unless it is a starving feral or a stray that's been around humans no matter how lethargic she seems, she'll most likely fight. I know we're late and you're already there dealing with it so sending many vibes your way that all goes well! Thank you for wanting to rescue this kitty!

Any kitten food, initially, will be fine. But to make sure to keep her quarantined away from any animals you have - and wash your hands immediately after being in the same room with her. Bathrooms do work great.

...for cats that are not used to using litter boxes, the best method is to use just clay litter at first - and sometimes you have to add whatever kind of environment they're used to to the top of it.... dirt (use potting soil) or a few leaves or something can help. But definitely the cheap litter box is the way to go until she's healthy and you're sure she's rid of the parasites she almost definitely has!

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks strange_wings and LDG. My grandmother said that she had been behind the bushes all day but when I got there she was gone and I couldn't find her. She just ate her food and left to find a place to sleep. She did this last night too. And my parents really don't want a cat, err....my dad really doesn't want a cat, my mom really doesn't want a litter box. It's not like its gonna be any more work on them than buying litter and food. Ugh! They haven't seen what state she is in, I can see every bone in her body, she has discharge coming from her eyes and nose, her hair is pretty thin, she's weak, she's 5 or 6 months old, and she only has 3 feet!! She needs medical attention and our love and care!!She diserves to be playing in a house somewhere, not wondering where her next meal will be. They are convinced that all she needs is the food we are offering her and she'll be fine. Yeah right. She will be a really fun cat once she is used to people and has a good home with good food, I can tell. Why won't they just take her, or let me take her in?!? Any tips??

So if I can convince them that she really does need a good warm home, I guess I will just start off with a basic litter box and some fresh step litter. What sort of food??

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would set a trap, stay up and watch for her and try to sneak up behind to close it yourself if you don't think the trigger floor will depress. With a blanket over the trap for security it should be easy enough to pull off.

Good luck !

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
^^Well, if I can find her then I can catch her, its just getting the parents to agree

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's not like its gonna be any more work on them than buying litter and food. Ugh! They haven't seen what state she is in, I can see every bone in her body, she has discharge coming from her eyes and nose, her hair is pretty thin, she's weak, she's 5 or 6 months old, and she only has 3 feet!! She needs medical attention and our love and care!!
Oh, it's going to be a lot of work. Rescuing kittens, especially feral ones, isn't easy or cheap. Unless you have a shelter or rescue willing to take this kitten, expect her to cost you anywhere from $300-500 just in vet bills. She'll need to be tested for FeLV/FIV, tested for protozoa and worms - and treated for those parasites, vaccinated, spay, and who knows what the foot injury/deformity will add in costs.

Since it sounds like you're young, you might see if a friend or family member will help get you a summer job since this will be a very expensive kitten for the next couple months. If you show your parents that you're willing to help pay for her, they may be more willing to agree.

There's a lot of information in this section about ferals and people willing to help if you catch her.
Honestly, I suggest you stop putting food out and just put the trap out. She'll set it off, don't worry. I have three kittens that came to me at ~7 weeks and even at their size they set off the live traps.
Since she's already a few months old it would be easiest to take her straight to the vet while she's still in the trap.

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It stormed last night so I am kinda worried. I am going over there today to get her though. Can she pass anything to my dog if they are seperated through a door?? And should I still use that bathroom and take showers in there to get her used to me??
thanks,
ifoster

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can give your dog fleas, and then the fleas could give your dog tapeworms. Easily dealt with by giving both animals flea treatments. If you can use Advantage multi or Revolution on her, that should take care of ear mites, hook, and round worms that she may have - though you may need to use it for at least a couple months to guarantee you get everything.

Will this bathroom be only your bathroom or does the whole family need to use it? She will at some point try to dart out of it.

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, this is me and my sisters' bathroom. The other two are my parents and my older brothers(yuck!). I can problably get my sisters to use my brothers but I'm not sure he'll want to share with all of us

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called mygrandmother to see if she had see er and she said she hasn't. Her food is gone but anything could have eaten that. It is supposed to start hailing tonight around 5. I am really worried.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like she is not going to be easy to catch. I'd contact local vets and shelters to see if there is a trap you can borrow (many places require a deposit which you get back when you return the trap).

If you find your parents are unwilling to let you keep her, you may want to see if you can find a shelter or foster network that can take her. It is kitten season, so finding an opening may be difficult, but it's certainly worth asking.

A good way to do this is to go to http://www.petfinder.com and type in your zip code and search on just "cat." A long list with many pages of cats up for adoption comes up - each cat for adoption has an organization listed with it. Each organization will have contact information somewhere. You can e-mail or call them. But you should know - most are under-funded and under-staffed, so many will not get back to you or they may take a while to get back to you.
If you e-mail them, most of them use personal e-mail addresses, so get a piece of paper, and write down the name of the person, their e-mail address, and the name of the organization. If you don't do this, if and when someone replies to an e-mail, you won't know which organization it is.

You're so sweet to want to help this kitty, and I hope you're able to!

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response LDG. I have been able to pet her while she is eating and get close enough to catch her, I just have to find her. My mom hasn't said no, she just hasn't said yes. I think I can keep her though If I can get her, which shouldn't be too difficult. My biggest concern is that once I bring her home, she won't ever get used to people and that my dog won't tolerate her. She didn't mind our old cat(outdoor cat), but when another stray came along a few years ago when we still had Cougar, she chased her off. I hope she is safe somewhere and she'll come out so I can get her. *sigh*

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I called mygrandmother to see if she had see er and she said she hasn't. Her food is gone but anything could have eaten that. It is supposed to start hailing tonight around 5. I am really worried.
There may not be time to throw together a makeshift shelter, but can you just get over there and at least set up the squirrel trap ?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can take some time, but she's young enough to socialize. There's no reason she can't live in your bedroom if it comes to that. Just make sure that once she's comfortable, you give her lots of exercise through play, and you create a lot of vertical space for her! Our cats are all indoor-only. We play with them a lot, and we put up bird feeders, so they have lots to watch outside the windows (which are like "cat tv").

Definitely spend time reading a number of the threads in this forum, and you'll learn heaps about how to socialize her!

I do agree - getting her to the vet directly is probably the best thing to do if you can get your parents to help.

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THank you every one. I am going to see if I can get my mom to drop me off and I will set up a trap or if I see her I will just grab her. Pray for us!!

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know where she is. She had disapeared. I am going to setup the squirrel trap I have. I hope she comes back.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I don't know where she is. She had disapeared. I am going to setup the squirrel trap I have. I hope she comes back.
Put it near bushes if possible since those are often places where cats hide and provide good camouflage for the trap. And whatever you have been put out for feeding, use smelly food to bait the trap. I hope someone is nearby to monitor events.