Stray Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

izzyneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No poopy yet. I added a few drops of Veggie Oil to his formula today. The vet is open late tomorrow so I have all day to get him in there.

He is spoiled though! He wails and wails until someone picks him up. ^_^ I told my boyfriend we have to just let him cry sometimes or else he's going to be up our bums later.

I'll keep you updated. Based on those pictures, yeah, I'd concur with 3-3.5 weeks.

sweetrain1215

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet...in regards to the little one being constipated...

I've had little ones that wouldn't go and when I'd take their temps (anal therm.) it would generally stimulate them enough to go. I don't know if you've tried this..but if you do make sure the therm. is lubricated. This worked on my human babies as well. But you have to be careful not to do this too often..and only the very tip end of the therm. I'd use this as a last resort before seeing the vet if the baby is in lots of distress.

izzyneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We brought Dozer to the vet this afternoon and the vet said that he thinks he may have worms. We've started deworming treatment tonight and we were told that if he doesn't poop by tomorrow then we should call. Although I kind of hope it's not worms at the same time I hope it is so that it just gets done and over with and he starts pooping like normal. It would also explain why he's always freaking out when he gets the bottle as if he hasn't eaten in days. I haven't seen any wormies come out of him, but he is very young. I don't know how long it takes for worms to get big enough to start sending little pods out of the anus.
Either way... it's gross.. and I hope it gets done with. Crossing my fingers and hoping for poop.

I'll keep you updated!

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does the vet think he has worms because his abdomen is swollen? Of course his abdomen is swollen, he hasn't pooped for over a week! Anyway, I have never had worms cause constipation in a kitten. It's usually the oposite - diarrhoea.

Are you letting him feed until he's full?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi there, just checking in on how little Dozer is doing, glad you were able to get the vet to check him over

Lets hope he poops soon

izzyneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

Does the vet think he has worms because his abdomen is swollen? Of course his abdomen is swollen, he hasn't pooped for over a week! Anyway, I have never had worms cause constipation in a kitten. It's usually the oposite - diarrhoea.

Are you letting him feed until he's full?
The vet said that he thinks it may be worms due to the fact that Dozer always seems like he is starving when he eats and he eats often along with the fact that he is a little swollen. He isn't in pain when you touch his stomach or rub his abdomen (or at least is not acting as if he is).

We let him feed until he appears to be done/starts playing. Usually about an ounce per feeding.

I'm really confused about the whole situation because other than him just not pooping at all.. nothing seems to be wrong! I was told that if he doesn't poop by the end of the day today then I should call the vet again tomorrow morning. I think I may call later today anyway since they are open late.

I mean... should I be looking at trying a laxative or something? I don't have any clue what to do.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's nothing you can do at this point. He needs veterinary treatment, like an enema. I know you probably know this but for other people who might read this thread, never try to give an enema to an animal unless told to and shown how by a vet.

izzyneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Called the vet and I was told to add a little bit of canned pumpkin to his formula. If he doesn't have a movement by this time (3:00PM EST) tomorrow then I was told to call again and bring him in for an enema and/or x-rays.

Would he have survived three weeks (his entire life) without having at least one movement?

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes he could. I know a story of a 3 year old boy who had an imperforate anus and had never had a bowel motion. He was very, very thin but had a HUGE stomach.

izzyneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just dropped him off for an overnight at the vet. They are going to do X-rays and an enema or whatever is needed. I'll update you tomorrow! *glances at wallet which will be empty soon*

izzyneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't ask. They asked on the drop-off sheet when the last time he was fed was so hopefully they will. My vet is also going to give me a big discount on the whole thing (so happy about that). I'm supposed to be going abroad for the month of June and this is really gonna cut into my savings. :\\ Hopefully there won't be anymore problems after this. ^_^

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good news about the discount. I always advise people, when they rescue a little one, to tell the vet that the kitten is a rescue. The vet will often discount or do certain things free.

izzyneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Picked Dozer up from the vet about 30 minutes ago. The vet gave him a teeny tiny enema and he started pooping right away. He kept the poo so we could take a look at it and it looks like maybe (there were two pieces.. one small and one BIG) a small bit got lodged in there and was preventing him from going. He also had a lot of gas. They X-rayed him and said there was still some left up in there but hopefully this little jump start will get it going within the next couple of days.
He only charged me $100 for the entire visit! The X-rays alone are worth $140. So, I got a good deal. We probably won't see any more poo tonight but maybe by Friday there will be some. I'm happy he's alright.

lil'misskisses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh that brilliant news. Must be such a relief for the little one.

Love to you both.

Emma x x

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
phew !! good news on the poop front then
and what a bargain, your vet is very reasonable and understanding ! Give that little Dozer some gentle tummy rubs from us