Stray Gave Birth; Questions About Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im sorry if i confused you, we took her in 5 weeks ago her babies are only 1 week old.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it possible momma was dragging her butt because it was itchy & she was too large with pregnancy to get to it to clean it, and maybe she doesn't have worms? How are the babies doing? Please post photos of the little family when you can.

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I separated her from her kittens for a short while yesterday and took her food, wayer, and litter box out as well. She finally relaxed enough to eat, drink, and potty! I have attached some pics they are all so cute! And they are a week old this evening

Attachments

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i have 4 very healthy 3 week old kittens and their mom. The only issue i have is that mom only wants her babies on the bed in our spare room. I have a wall of pillows around them but as they get bigger and stronger i am afraid they will fall off the bed. I have set up a kitten playpen of sorts for them that is safe but mommy will not let them be there. Everytime i have tried to move them mom takes them back to the bed. Also to note this safe place i have for them is in the same room as the bed so they are still in a familiar area. What can i do to get these kittens moved i just want them to be safe.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Begin with thick blankets around the bed.

Best is prob to take away the bed so momma willy nilly must choose her nest lower down.

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok i will put the blankets down. Unfortunately taking the bed out is not an option. Its a king size with a large wooden frame and there is no other place for it.

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sweet kittens are now 5 weeks old! All are healthy and happy, playing and using the litter box for voiding. But they will not eat solid food! I have tried different wet foods, dry food soaked in water, and also food mixed with KMR. I just started seperating them from mom while i try to feed because mom eats any and all food she sees. Also they all still nurse, not as much as b4 but they act ravenous when mom allows them to nurse. What can i do to get them eating better? At what age should i really start to worry?

Side question when does mom stop eating their stools?

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would allow Mom to wean them and don't worry about it. They are on the young end for weaning. Let Mom eat the food you put down because that is how kittens learn. They see Mom eating and start trying to eat too. Once they are interested in what Mom is doing they will get curious and start eating too.

The best food option is either wet food or a slurry of wet food and KMR. It's easier on baby teeth and better nutitional for them. Especially since kittens have very little thirst drive and you don't want anyone getting dehydrated.

I've seen kittens continue to try to nurse up to 12 weeks old or older. Mom will usually do a good job of curtailing the behavior. In some cases they will psudeo nurse whereby they go through the motions of nursing but aren't actually getting anything.

Please allow the kittens to stay with Mom until at least 10 weeks old, but ideally 12 weeks old. This is so they learn how to cat, play, behavior and other items that are key to long term health and behavior. Mom can be spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned and should not be allowed near males until that point. She can get pregnant already and that should be avoided.

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the tips we are planning in the kittens being with mom till 10 weeks and mom will be getting spayed as soon as babies are weaned. She was a stray we took in not knowing she was already prego.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will you be getting the kittens spayed and neutered before they are rehomed as well?

Also, if they are a bit slow on hitting milestones, you might want to consider keeping them a few extra weeks. 10 is the absolute earliest we would recommend rehoming.