Stray/Feral cat with injured shoulder

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two years ago a young (1 or 2 years old I estimated) male black stray/feral cat started coming around my backyard. I fed him and got him to come inside sometimes, but he didn't want to be an indoor cat. He hung around regularly for about 3 months, but then he got made that I tried to put pet balm on some cuts and scabs he had on his neck and sides and quit coming around.

Flashforward to a week ago and he was at the backdoor again. This time with a shoulder injury, super hungry and practically all bones. I kept him inside and got him to the vet on Friday. He tested negative for feline leukemia and fecal tests. They started him on shots. He's right at 7 lbs. He's due back in 3 weeks for boosters. X-rays showed jagged bones on his elbow. The vet suggested pain management and to wait and see if the shoulder and elbow get better and if not, surgery could be an option. He didn't do well at all with pilling the pain meds they gave me, wouldn't swallow the pill at all. He walks with a limp, but it doesn't seem to stop him from walking or climbing on my furniture. I was just wondering what else can I do for him to help with pain (we all know cats are great at hiding how much pain they're really in) or to help nurse those joints between now and his next vet visit.

First pic is him 2 years ago. Second pic is him now.
20170923_215525.jpg 20191225_014340.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, and OMG! After all this time, he sought you out to take care of him!! :redheartpump: As far as the pain meds go, ask your vet about compounding them into a different form - flavorful liquids, or some pain meds can be made into transdermal gels. And, when you do, ask the vet about nursing those joints - I would suspect they will advise against that until his follow up appt. to see how he is doing, but you never know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It does appear to be an older injury which could have happened right after he disappeared and it could have taken a while for him to remember I'd help or for him to get back to my yard. Right now, I'm just gently massaging his shoulders when I pet him and he likes that. And I'm trying to fatten him up a little bit because all you feel is bones when you pet him. Healing may go better with good nutrition. Maybe that's all I can do for him for now until we see how he progresses.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please see about another form of pain meds though - just in case it will help him feel better. If he likes the massaging, keep it up!!!! And, please keep us posted.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is so kind of you to help this cat who did obviously remember that you had been kind to him at one time. I do agree about compounding the meds if possible or trying for a gel....if those things would work with whatever he needs. This cat must be so happy to have found a safe haven with you.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He started to feel the call of the wild last night pawing at the backdoor to go out, but I wouldn't let him. I definitely need to get more feliway spray and plugins to calm him and my original cats. Those 2 are just getting over me taking in an orphaned newborn kitten for 2 months that got adopted out 3 weeks ago. I do have a soft spot for black cats since my original male is solid black. For a few years I had another almost solid black male cat that I'd taken in until he passed from kd/cancer. This boy showed up a year after that one passed.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The former boy wasn't hard to pill so I didn't think anything of it when the vet gave me the 3 pain pills for this boy. But his jaw is super strong so apparently anything oral won't work for him. Unless maybe a liquid mixed in wet food. I'm going to have to talk to the vet about it. Anyone know of otc cat meds that actually work for pain?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The former boy wasn't hard to pill so I didn't think anything of it when the vet gave me the 3 pain pills for this boy. But his jaw is super strong so apparently anything oral won't work for him. Unless maybe a liquid mixed in wet food. I'm going to have to talk to the vet about it. Anyone know of otc cat meds that actually work for pain?

My feral rescue was the same way- she was sick as a dog- but man- she had an iron grip when it came to her jaw. The tiny tip of syringe was a lot easier to work through her clenched teeth than a pill.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone know of otc cat meds that actually work for pain?
I don't even know of an OTC pain med for a cat that I wouldn't want to first check with a vet about. If you can get a liquid pain med from the vet, you can measure it in to a dish, and then add just enough canned tuna or chicken water to it to get them to take it. That is what I have done for Feeby with antibiotics. Then, after she lapped up the meds in the tuna/chicken water, she would get a treat with a piece of the tuna or chicken.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
What all have you tried with the pill? Pill pockets or another pill masker like Tomlyn?

It is EXTREMELY rare that I can’t find a way to get a cat to take a pill willingly by hiding it, and that’s often way easier than liquid in a lot of cases.

For the most picky cats, we usually have to do one of a few things that involve a layering method:

Roll the pill in the most minimal amount of pill pocket/pill masker possible (Whisker Lickin’s soft treats are also a very good and cheaper substitute. Just break up the treat and wet it slightly to make it more moldable). Just enough to coat it. Then stick it onto a dry food they love (Meow Mix for ours 🤮) or a treat - Purebites chicken treats work really well for this, but so do a lot of the other flavors and freeze dried brands. We basically give them about 5 or so pieces and stick the pill on one.

If the pill is not a long term thing, we have also hid the pill in a pill pocket, then slipped the pill pocket into a piece of hot dog (rinsed with water first because of sodium content). We’ve also used sardines, mackerel, tuna, cottage cheese, spray cheese, etc. But only for short term meds. Longer term meds we stick with regular chicken fillets or similar.

If the pill is extra bitter, we roll the inside of the pill pocket (and a tiny bit of the outside) in Fortiflora and stick it on the treat. Alternatively, we coat the pill in unsalted or clarified butter, then pill pocket, then treat.

The last option for the super picky we use is to crush the pill and put it in an empty gel cap - I prefer size #5 gel caps for cats since it’s the smallest. Then hide it however necessary (you can use variations of the above with this too, but we usually always cost the capsule in butter first to be safe).

Honestly, I really try to avoid liquid and pill shooting to avoid stress (and because I also have a bit of a pill phobia myself, so I automatically gag with shooting 😂). I try to reserve those options for particularly nasty pills (if all else fails or it’s an emergency), especially picky cats, or for cats who won’t eat (and sometimes also because my vet has the liquid version that someone donated back, so it’s free, haha).

Most of the time, I only ever need to use a pill shooter because a cat is anorexic - meaning the other two options can generally be worked through with most cats.

But additional options are certainly to have it compounded into liquid, although ideally I try my hardest to avoid restraining an injured or emaciated cat as to not do further damage. Definitely a last resort for me, and something to bear in mind with his shoulder.

Some compounding pharmacies can also do a flavored liquid, treats, and transdermal with certain medications, as well as compounding it into a flavored or flavorless gel cap, or even rendering a tablet or liquid flavorless - so those are further options to look into.

My vet knows nothing about these “fancier” options, so your vet may not either and you might have to do some calling and Google-fu yourself for compounding pharmacies and apothecaries near you to see what they offer.

You might also have the option of taking him back to the vet to have your vet or tech administer a long acting pain medication, too.

Either way, you still have a lot of options at your disposal!

Thank you for taking such good care of the little guy! :vibes:

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild When I tried to give him the pill, sat him in my lap and tried to open his mouth witha finger or 2 and drop it in and gently held his mouth shut for a few seconds, less than a minute. I didn't want to restrain him because of the shoulder. And that was how I used to pill the former cat. The pill masker I have is old and dried up. He doesn't seem to care for treats really.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that I knew would take some flesh if I tried to force a pain pill. She had an injured leg. Sometimes I think part of it is the forcing on them. I placed the pill on the floor and rolled it towards her and she captured it and ate it! Maybe she thought she was catching nasty bugs? I don’t know but it worked. Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food might work. The trick with that is to only use a tiny bit on the pill and get it eaten quickly, before it starts to dissolve. A pill crusher might also work. Ask the vet if it’s okay to crush the pill and mix it into a couple of drops of water. Then draw it up in a syringe or eye dropper and squirt into the mouth. You can also try adding the crushed pill into a tiny bit of his food at his normal feeding. Just put that small amount of his food down when he is hungry. After he eats that give him the rest of his meal. A compounded medication is also a good option.
Is he eating well? There are a petite stimulants the vet can give that might make pilling easier too. Some people are using things like CBD oil but you seriously need to ask your vet before using anything not prescribed. I have never used that but have read of others finding it helpful. It’s important that your vet be aware of anything you use on him.
Thank you so much for saving him. It sounds like he experienced a very hard life outside and would not have continued if you had not brought him inside. Is he neutered? If not, that would make him more content to remain inside permanently. Of course he needs to be nourished for the surgery. Poor kitty! I have a soft spot for black kitties too. They often have a harder time being accepted by humans although that is ridiculous. He is absolutely beautiful! He reminds me of my Purry. Purry is a rescue that came to me with a dislocated hip. After surgery, TLC and time, he is in wonderful shape and now about 12 years old.
I consider you a kitty hero! :goldstar:Please keep us updated!

Last edited:

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, he's eating well. He really likes the wet food. I don't know if he's neutered. I was too concerned about his injury I forgot to ask the vet if she could tell. I'm going to ask at his next appointment. When he first came around I noticed a small notch on 1 ear like I think some tnr programs do, so he might be already. Or it could be from a fight or something. I don't really trust cbd oil products because 1 company I work with makes and sells some of these products so I know just how unregulated they all are.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food is great! It will help hydrate him and hopefully he’ll start feeling better and bulk up. Hopefully he is already neutered. That would be great. I happen to agree with you about the regulation of CBD oil. Like many plant related products, we don’t know potency, growing conditions, processing or even plant species. That’s why I stressed that you run that by your vet first. I have been told that some safe products are out there but I have not had personal experience with them. Others on the site seem to have had good results but I don’t know where they obtained the product. Unfortunately I don’t know of any OTC pain relief for kitties. I am guessing that the pain pills you had for him got contaminated after the kitty pushed them away. You could probably call your vet and just explain the situation to obtain something else. As you noted, cats tend to hide their pain. Getting pain meds in his system might indicate to you if he has really been in need of that. He might show relief in some way. Just being safe inside where he can rest well and eat in peace should be a big help though. You are doing him a great service. There have been some studies that suggest that purring may help the healing process, even with bone, so the love and kindness you are showing him can help him to heal. Wishing you lots of purrs! :purr:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild When I tried to give him the pill, sat him in my lap and tried to open his mouth witha finger or 2 and drop it in and gently held his mouth shut for a few seconds, less than a minute. I didn't want to restrain him because of the shoulder. And that was how I used to pill the former cat. The pill masker I have is old and dried up. He doesn't seem to care for treats really.
There are very few animals (especially cats) that I could successfully pill like that, and I’m very experienced. It depends on the taste of the pill and the individual cat, of course - but I am saying that I’m not surprised he would give you trouble with that.

He also obviously doesn’t understand what you’re doing to him either, so bear that in mind. You probably wouldn’t want to open your mouth if a relative stranger was trying to pry it open either! 😆

And you’re right, if you aren’t able to force his mouth open with your fingers, it’s likely you won’t be able to get a syringe in there either.

Most cats only need the right treats. Some cats I care for take pill pockets no problem. For others, it needs to be stuck to something they actually do like, or rolled in something like Fortiflora or crushed temptation treats - so the pill pocket is more so acting as the “glue” in those cases. Sardines, fried chicken, etc also work reasonably well if the pill is lightly coated with a pill pocket first.

Animals (and again, especially cats) respond far better with the least force, so if it is at all possible to “trick” them into doing it on their own, things will be a lot easier. The more they dislike it, the more they will avoid you come pill time, too.

Most of what will probably work should be very easily accessible to you. If pill pockets, a pill masker, or Whisker Licken’s are not, then unsalted or clarified butter can often work when stuck in “real” food like mackerel or chicken.

If this cat will eat, then you can get him to take the pill! This is a short term thing and you only need very little of whatever food or treat you use, so your only real limitations are 1. what he will eat, and 2. what is nontoxic is very small amounts.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, he's eating well. He really likes the wet food. I don't know if he's neutered. I was too concerned about his injury I forgot to ask the vet if she could tell. I'm going to ask at his next appointment. When he first came around I noticed a small notch on 1 ear like I think some tnr programs do, so he might be already. Or it could be from a fight or something. I don't really trust cbd oil products because 1 company I work with makes and sells some of these products so I know just how unregulated they all are.
You said he got his shots, right?

If he received his rabies vaccination they should have sent you home with a certificate to verify he is now up to date. If you look at it, there is a section where the vet will have indicated whether he is neutered or not :)

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The rabies certificate doesn't show anything about spay/neuter status. It has name, species, sex (M), color, tag #, weight, and age.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every county is different. The vets here don’t always indicate it on that document either. When you go back, ask them to check and to give you documentation if he is neutered.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He got 1 year rabies, fvrcp and feline leukemia shots and they want to do boosters on those 2 at a 3 week follow up.