Stray Dog..

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I was out doing my weekly site inspection at a paper facility, and as I walked back to my car to leave, there was a black dog lying in the parking lot. I thought it was dead, it was so still, but then it lifted its head when I got closer. I pet him and he wagged his tail, he seemed really friendly. I couldn't just leave him there to wander so I went back to the office to ask them to call a shelter or animal control, and he followed me to the front door. They called, and animal control said they'd pick him up 'before 5:00.' I wanted to wait with the dog so he wouldn't run off but I can't stay all day! They called again and then AC said they'd put it on the emergency list and get there sooner. OK.. well I still couldn't wait though, and I was assured they'd keep him til AC got there. So I get in my car and leave, and I see this man walking down the road in front of the place with the dog walking close by! Is it his? I stopped the car and asked him, and he didn't even know the dog was following him! So.... obviously the people weren't keeping him for AC. I put the dog in my car and drove him back and pleaded with the security man to keep him in the little gatehouse thing til they came. The lady I deal with who assured me they would keep him said she would call me when AC got him. I hope it turns out ok.

Did I do the right thing? I don't know what will happen to the dog 'in the system' but I couldn't just leave him to wander. It looked like he had a collar at some time, there was an indentation in his fur on his neck, and he was pretty dirty, but so friendly and calm and sweet. I hope he gets cleaned up and into his home if he got lost, or into a new good home if not.

Also, am I at risk for carrying any diseases other than fleas? I washed my hands thoroughly of course but my hoodie smells like dog.

Please spare some vibes if you can for the little guy..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If in doubt, leave your shoes outside/in a utility room and strip. Toss everything right in the washer. I've done this for years when around unknown or suspicious (could be sick) animals and haven't spread anything yet.

There might not be anything you could spread to your cats, but this would take care of the problem of smelling weird to them.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
By touching any animal you could run the risk of picking up ringworm, but that's not something I would actively worry about.

Yes i think you did the right thing under the given circumstances, it's not like you could have just taken the dog home and leaving him to fend for himself on the streets is a fate much worse then death in my opinion.

Better he gets taken to a shelter and properly evaluated for adoption. ^^

You can catch any kind of parasite from direct contact as well as fungal infections, but washing your hands is always the best preventitive to spreading a disease, and since you washed up I wouldn't be worried.

The only other thing I think you should do is probably wash your clothes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Yes, I did a mega handwash. I will take off my clothes when I get in the door when I get home and throw it all in the washer, and I might as well jump in the shower right away too.

I feel so bad for that dog, he was too sweet! I'm getting teary now, wondering who he is and whose he was, if he ran away or was thrown away.. he looked kinda old too.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a text from the lady I deal with at the plant, and she said the stupid security guard let the dog go.

I cried for a while and keep feeling like crying some more.

I failed. I should've kept him in my car and made phone calls myself and brought him somewhere. I also should've given him my sandwich I had in the car. But I thought he'd have had dinner by now. Nope. I hope he's ok and stays out of streets and someone else helps him real soon.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you'll have time, but maybe it'll still be around tomorrow?

I've sort of learned that in a lot of cases, unless someone will get something out of it, you certainly cannot trust a stranger to do any sort of favor for you. Doing something good would take up their precious time.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's exactly how I got Sadie! After an hour on the phone with two towns' Animal Control offices, neither of which wanted to take her, I got her to my own vet instead. So even if you had stayed and waited, there's no guarantee she'd have gotten to a shelter. It's a shame but you did what you could.

Maybe check tomorrow if you can and see. We have no idea what this dog's situation was, so I will send vibes that he finds his home/gets a new home'is safe.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, maybe someone who loves the dog lost him and maybe he will have a chip. (The dog, not the owner, although I do think that some pet owners need chips.
) And maybe the family will be overjoyed to see their dog.

Well, 'tis the season to think happy thoughts and your trying to help is in the spirit although it would be nice if persons could have this type of spirit all year.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update to those who read/responded. I got a text today from the lady I deal with at the plant, and she said the dog came back and 'the pound' came and got him. I hope he gets back home or into a new good home soon! I'm still sad cos he is such a sweet dog, but I'm glad he's getting taken care of, hopefully he'll get a good chance at a better life.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you do all right Erica...
the people of good Heart can´t leave a soul homeless...

Poor you said that is old...
How can leave abandon...

... for a good settle!...