Stray dog rescue

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A beautiful large black dog is roaming the apartment complex, occasionally going on the street. He has a collar but no one can get close enough. I have rescued cats but how do you rescue a dog?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, food always helps. Talk to it, obviously, and, if if lets you, slip the leash on. I did this once on roller blades, It was a sort of “now or never“ moment with a lovely Chow. We think it was a breeder who might have felt this one wasn’t up to the mark. I rolled it (or it rolled me) to the copy center where we had “do you want a dog” photos made on the spot, Fortunately it ended up with a nice lady who had a farm in the suburbs. If it seems like the bitey kind…wellll…not sure what to tell you.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If you mean how do you personally rescue a dog I would start with not approaching it too suddenly. Have some treats on hand especially smelly ones to encourage the dog to come to you and I would crouch down to not intimidate the dog since it might be scared. Try to talk softly, remain calm and avoid direct eye contact. Never put your hand above the dog's head since this can be threatening to them. Instead put your hand out, palm side up. You may also want to contact the nearest humane animal shelter. Good luck and please keep us posted. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I saved some meat from my hamburger. Of course I have no lease. So rescuing a dog is not much different than a c cat except you can't set a trap

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
clothesline. Make a loop, tie it off, then draw the loose end through the loop. The new loop goes over the dog's head and makes a leash. Sometimes, if the dog has training in it's background or once at humans, the minute the leash is on, the dog relaxes walks with you. If no humans, or bad ones, the dog can do a cat fandango dance at the end of the leash. Hang on and let him work it out. You could look at videos of rescues, Hope for Paws does pretty detailed videos.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Post on nextdoor, Facebook etc. grab photos of the dog if possible. And contact the nearest humane society to see if anyone has reported him missing.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we found a dog we took her picture and mailed it to every vet in the town to see if anyone was missing a dog. No one was, but some of the vets kept her picture up for a couple of months. The mail lady also kept an eye out for lost dog posters.