Stray cat

Sazzleg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my little black cat went missing a few years ago, she was short haired. Recently a black stray has shown up at the house very friendly but is slightly long haired. Does anyone think its possible its the same cat, I can't catch it to check for a chip

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was in a similar situation several years ago. A feral litter was born on my property; three were trapped and socialized and two were TNRed but remained very feral. About a year later, an older cat with similar markings (black and white but I had not memorized the exact pattern of the feral kitten) returned. I trapped her and the vet was able to verify that it was the same cat, much calmer as she had apparently become dependent on someone for some handouts and now saw people as caregivers.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, my little black cat went missing a few years ago, she was short haired. Recently a black stray has shown up at the house very friendly but is slightly long haired. Does anyone think its possible its the same cat, I can't catch it to check for a chip
I’m so sorry about your cat.

This would be especially difficult to determine with an all black cat.

If your cat was a kitten when she went missing, then it’s definitely possible the fur grew out more as she aged.

I’m not sure where you live, but if winter is approaching, then it’s also possible the longer fur is her winter coat.

I hope you are able to catch her to scan for a chip to determine whether it’s your kitty. If you would like advice on how to trap her, please let us know and we would be happy to help.