Stray cat

Lexischommer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a two part question... there is a stray cat that hangs out around my apartment building. Everytime you go near him and meows and yowls but will not let you pet him. I have been giving him food and water for a while now but he continues to cry and cry and cry, is there a way to help him? What could be the reasons he’s crying and yowling? I also wanted to see if I could figure out what type of cat he is. He has bright blue eyes and is a cream color with brown/tan markings.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A domestic shorthair would be the generic name. He does have an unusual look, so there might be some breeds mixed in there, maybe someone will have some thoughts for you, but I think you are likely talking the cat equivalent of a mutt. Nice looking cat though.

As for why he is crying and yowling, I really can't say. I'm not sure it matters unless you want to get more involved with the cat. You could, for example, borrow a trap and take the cat in for spay/neuter and a vet check and release. That would be doing the cat a solid for sure. Or potentially bring him inside afterwards if you want to adopt. Alternatively, it is possible to gradual befriend a feral cat outside over time. jefferd18 jefferd18 would be a good person to give some feral cat advice if you want to go one of the latter two routes.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will yowl and cry when they are very scared and unsure of themselves. He may have been dumped. He WANTS to trust and get some comfort but is so afraid he just can't. If you want to help, feed him, and stand quietly nearby, trying to get a little closer over time. I would bet he would come around quickly. He is a stray, not a feral. A feral does not want to be seen and would disappear as soon as they saw you. A stray knows people can be friends and is willing to take a risk. You will be blessed for noticing the poor little one......

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Since he has been crying for a while, and crying is not exactly what calling sounds like, my guess is that he wants attention but might be afraid of coming closer. He could be a dumped pet. This is going out on a limb, but often the very round face and larger head is found in an unneuterd tom. Depending on the mannerisms of the cat, if you can glance under his tail you might be able to see if he is intact or not, although this could be hard to do.

I agree that standing around a little longer and talking to him might start to change the behavior. He may start to rub against your legs or approach. Of course, use common sense and caution, but to me he sounds like a stray. True ferals are almost entirely silent as they have been trained by their mothers never to make a noise as that will attract a predator to them. Cats only "talk" to people...he is not hoping that another cat comes by for a conversation, so he does want something from you.

I have had TNRed ferals on my property who have never made a peep in years.