Stray cat

RobinAnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have two female black cats, neutered. A third black cat, stray, not castrated, shows up every evening for food. Yes, we feed him. He is a sweet boy, with people, but a mean cat. He fights with our cats and marks in our garden. We don't let him in the house. We try to bring our cats in before he comes.
There is a window our cats often perch on when they want in. This morning I found feces on the window sill and smeared on the window. We suspect the stray.
I've considered castrating him and trying to adopt him. Still undecided. But will his behavior change(terrified he will mark inside the house) What are some of my options? Any chance to change his behavior? Is it cruel to our cats that we feed the stray?

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It certainly is not cruel to your cats that you feed a stray. (We currently have 12 cats in our house and feed a small colony. Several strays come to our front porch and eat in the house we have on it.)

How do you know he is sweet with people? Can you pet him? Are your cats in an enclosure when they are outside?

Since he is not fixed, his behavior is very likely linked to it and the fact that, as a stray, he has to fend off other cats all the time. Absolutely get him fixed. After that, if you decided to take him in, you can start the reintroduction period. It might take longer, but it can work. You just need to be patient.

All of my cats were either strays or ferals when we found them. The ferals were kittens still, so it was easier to get them accustomed to being inside. We have no idea how long the strays were strays before we found them. Our oldest, Simon, was nine when we found him have starved and battle-worn. He was not fixed. Once he was fixed, most of his aggression subsided, although he does attack dogs. (He is pushing 17 and still will try to get out to beat up dogs.) He occasionally pees out the open window through the screen if another animal goes by and he notices it. He is also insane when the food is low. We have to free-feed because of him. If the food dispenser runs out--it happens on rare occasions--he goes around the house hissing and swiping at the other cats. He does not actually hit any of them, but it is his way of say that they cannot get the few crumbs that are left in the bowl. If our bedroom door is open, he will make sure I know before that happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RobinAnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate you advice. I often wonder if we are being unfair to our cats.
Our cats are indoor/outdoor. We live in a small, somewhat remote village next to a forest. So traffic is safe and no dangerous wild animals.
The stray usually eats our food but sometimes he just wants affection. So yes, he is very friendly. For breakfast he has another cat owner neighbor he visits.
We also have a border collie. She is old and I fear not much time left😥.
Any decision to castrate the stray will come after that.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I appreciate you advice. I often wonder if we are being unfair to our cats.
Our cats are indoor/outdoor. We live in a small, somewhat remote village next to a forest. So traffic is safe and no dangerous wild animals.
The stray usually eats our food but sometimes he just wants affection. So yes, he is very friendly. For breakfast he has another cat owner neighbor he visits.
We also have a border collie. She is old and I fear not much time left😥.
Any decision to castrate the stray will come after that.
Giving attention and care to another cat is not being unfair to your cats. I can see why you might think that, but rest assured, you are just being kind to a cat that needs it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that neutering him is certainly going to be a large amount of the solution. I have been in this situation numerous times and it is the easiest way to resolve it and then move on with your evaluation of the cat.