Stray Cat won't eat wet cat food, dry cat food or raw meat - only Temptations dairy treats. Any su

christine a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A month ago I found a young male, Maine Coon 'tiger' on my back veranda meowing to come in even tho' I have an insulated cat shelter there.  Brought him in, but it is a mystery as to what his owner fed him.  Have tried just about everything; wet food, dry food, raw fish, raw beef, and chicken.  To date, he will eat cooked chicken and Temptations dairy treats, but that's it.  My other three cats eat both wet and dry food and I would like this stray to get used to eating what they eat as it gets a bit expensive to keep buying him chicken.  He is in good health, good weight and I believe he comes from somewhere not too far away as he tends to stay indoors, has very clean ears, etc.   Wondering if anyone would have any ideas as to what I am missing re offering him food.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.   Thank you so much!  'Puzzled'!  (aka Christine)  :)

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried raw chicken? A raw diet can be about the same cost as canned food. When feeding raw chicken, use thighs, which are inexpensive. You do have to learn a lot about feeding raw, though. There's a lot of supplementation if you don't be commercial raw (which is expensive). You can start at this website:

http://www.catinfo.org

or in the raw feeding forum.

This thread was started recently from someone who wanted to know about raw feeding and had a lot of good starting points. Their kitty had some health issues, but there are still a lot of good foundational points:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/253134/need-to-understand-raw-diet/30#post_3298700

A lot of people have used Fortiflora to get their cats to eat new food. This is very common in transitioning to raw, but can be used with other foods.

Be sure to feed balanced meals. Cooked (or even raw) chicken alone will lack some essential vitamins and minerals.

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what canned food have you tried? if you haven't tried it already, try fancy feast classic pate. that is what i feed my feral colony, it isn't that bad of a food (as long as you stick with the classic pate styles) and all of them love it. some of them have preferences - one won't eat the beef and chicken - and they get bored if i don't rotate flavors. the turkey and giblets is the one style that everyone always seem to enjoy.

as Raintyger already mentioned fortiflora is worth giving a shot. if you do try it keep in mind that you don't have to use a whole packet on a meal - just mix a little into the food and sprinkle some on the top of the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christine a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, 'Raintyger'.   Very good information in these references and it is encouraging to know that others have similar problems with their cats.

As I live in Quebec, the brand names we get are different, but I'm sure my vet would have a supplement for 'Tigger'.  I will definitely try the raw chicken thighs.  Did try raw beef, but he turned his nose up.  The others didn't though!  LOL! 

Again, thanks so much.  Some great tips which are a big help.  Will keep you posted on how things go! 

Christine 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would also try the Fancy Feast Pate on your new cat. Do you schedule feed your cats? If so, then try putting the new cat in a room by himself for 30 minutes. If he didn't eat, then try again at the next scheduled feeding. He will get the hang of the routine, cats love routines and schedules. I would not go to "toppers" at this point. If you are offering this cat food on and off all day long with the treats too, then he will become picky. They are very quick to get our numbers and will hold off for the good stuff. Just keep trying and no treats in between the scheduled meals. Good luck!!!

Last edited:

christine a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Whaler!

Yes, I can get 'Fancy Feast' here.  I will try that with him too.  My three other kitties like 'pate' better than whole chunks or shredded.  Thanks for the suggestions.  All helpful!  

Christine

christine a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Feralvr!

I feed wet food in the morning and then again about six at night.  They are opportunists like you say and are always looking for hand outs.

I have been feeding 'Tigger' in a separate room with the chicken, otherwise the other cats will eat it first. 

Amazing! - All the years I have owned or rescued cats and this is the very first one that has been 'picky' about eating.  He was more anxious to get inside whee it was warm rather than he was interested in food.

Christine