Stray cat with ruptured eyes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

We euthanised a few of them, one the vet could not save the infection spreading past the eyes, she was very young (under 5 weeks) so he didn't want to do surgery and two who lost both eyes. The ones who responded to medication were all put up for adoption (and most adopted with a littermate) some had partial sight in one eye and lost the other, some responded really well to meds and had a good eye and a cloudy eye (obviously the ones that did not rupture).

The shelter is actually really lucky with finding homes for special needs cats, and with these guys, the local TV station ran a story about them so we had a lot of interest in them
It was televised? Maybe the story is really touching

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, must have been a slow news day
We appealed fo help with their vet bills, because they were so small and young, and in such bad shape, we spent a lot on their vet care, including opthamologist visits etc to give their adopters as much info as possible about the extent of their blindness. It did touch people though, we had little kids bringing in their pocket money and birthday money

The kittens were being dropped off outside in bad weather in the middle of the night in cold weather, we were hoping someone would recognise the person dropping off the kittens so we could arrange to help without leaving animals outside all night - and get the adults speutered to stop spreading the infection even more.

Then more litters was dropped off with mommas, so they got the idea but we have found other cats with chlamydia separate from where these ones were coming from too.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since I saw a cat like this this morning Im going to ask....

ive had 3 ferals in the last...3 months show up with leaky eyes (usually just one) OR with one eye almost shut. They have ALL improved - so its a temporary condition (so far)

Is this anything to worry about? Not sure if this is from fighting - but one cat had a bloody ear tip. Not to mention my new stray that had a whole in his side and another with 2 "bite" marks on his tail...

thanks!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
leaky eyes could be herpes, mild chlamydia or a simple URI or many other things, without a vet visit (I realise not always possible with ferals) its hard to say, it could also be swollen shut from fighting but usually there is some lasting damage from fighting

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
im assuming these other issues ARENT usually tested along with aids and leukemia?

there are only 2 friendly ones- the rest wont let me get anywhere near them (after almost 2 years) and they are the ones with the eye issues.

thanks - sorry to change the subject btw.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, if they have any of the other diseases I mentioned, you can tell on intake so they are tested and treated for it before they go up for adoption, chlamydia doesn't clear up on its own completely, so their eyes usually gives it away and the stress of a vet visit and shelter will bring out herpes or chlamydia in a cat that chronically shed the virus.

Cats with chlamydia usually appear to have the same symptoms as most URIs but with more eye involvement and no fever, there are risks to the vaccine (moreso than most vaccines) so you have to weigh the options on including it. I certainly did with my cats when I was handling the ones in the photos I posted but probably won't this year.

But unless there are signs of the illness on intake, no it is not generally tested for by shelters (or vets when you bring them a newbie to check out)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all doing well, the shelter paid to have their eyes completely removed and sutured to decrease the risk of any further infection there and most of them were adopted with a littermate. They are probably the spunkiest kittens I have seen, I don't think they knew how sick they were.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MysteryCat

Wow, nice to hear it from you
Our shelter has actually been fairly lucky with placing special needs animals, in our city people seem to feel sorry for them and want them more. The next city over, they don't even bother trying to get rescues to take them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope that every city should have an animal shelter like yours...

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MysteryCat

I hope that every city should have an animal shelter like yours ...
It sounds like, also, every animal shelter would like to have a city like theirs. One where people care about pets.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think its a lot more to do with the city, our shelter is trusted in the community etc as well, but if the people in our city didn't care, we wouldn't have the adoption / success rate we do, nor be able to place as many animals, especially special needs ones.

As I mentioned, the next city over (which is less affluent and bigger than mine) does not have the same rate of adoption we do, they have an SPCA and an animal control. Animal Control does not have an adoption centre so are really high kill and while rescues take animals from there - each one has their own strays to deal with too, it is so rare to see a special needs animal on the SPCA's website (the only real shelter there) and the ones you do see are dogs, because they don't take in strays, they only pull from animal control so pick the best of the best.

ghmerrida111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[SIZE=[GALLERY="media, 359401"][/GALLERY]
4]:rbheart:
[/SIZE]
This has happened to my cat as well, I didn't know what was going on, so I just thought about what would I do if he was myself. I just bought some saline drops I might have some in the medicine cabinet and I flushed her eye out everyday until they clear up and killer out all the bacteria build-up. I didn't know if that was the right thing but I it worked, cuz I surely can't afford to take her to the vet.! Her eye hold up to this day I never had any problem with her eye anymore it's going 2 years,