Stray cat with 8 kittens

rusty108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!!
I have a stray cat with 8 kittens living on our deck. She has been out and about for about a month and she was under our deck for a while (we had outdoor housing and were feeding her) but then left and then she came back etc. I say stray because she is very loving and lets us pet her and her kittens. We tried a few weeks ago to trap the babies and the mom while they were at another location, but we were only able to get one baby and the mama cat got upset when a friend of ours had another baby and went to charge our friend. We ultimately released the one kitten we got and then the mom left from that spot and we didn't see her anywhere for about a day or so. As of last Saturday she has come back to our deck. We have created outdoor shelters for them and closed the gate so they are confined to the top of our deck. Again we are feeding them and have a crate out there and other outdoor homes, toys, etc. Sorry for this long winded post but we have our garage all set up to foster them. None of our local shelters are helping us and we dont know how to get Mom and the kittens in the garage. We are going to try to use another crate to get mom and then have the kittens all in big crate. We have never done this and I guess I am just worried that mom is going to freak out on us. But will she? She sits right outside our door and it almost seems like she wants to come in. The fact she came back to our deck does she trust us? We can't have her just come in the house because we have a dog and cat that live here. I know the mom has worms and I called doorbell vet and they are coming on Monday to see her. I need her to be in the crate in the garage and the kittens too. I will have to take the kittens to the vet separately because it is 250 just for the mom to be seen and it would be an additional 200 per kitten and I cant afford that. Can you tell me from your experience if she will be ok with us getting her and her kittens or are we going to get attacked. Thank you so much!!

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there,

It's wonderful that you're caring for the stray cat and her kittens. Based on your description, it does seem like the mother cat trusts you to some extent if she's allowing you to pet her and be near the kittens. However, introducing them to a crate can be a bit challenging, and there's a chance she may be initially wary or protective.

To make the process as smooth as possible, consider using a humane cat trap (you can usually borrow or rent one from local animal shelters or rescue organizations) to safely and gently capture the mother cat. Once she's in the trap, transfer her to the crate in your garage along with her kittens. Be cautious and move slowly to avoid alarming her.

Keep in mind that she might display some stress or anxiety initially, but it's for their well-being, especially if they need medical attention. Once they are safely in the garage, you can monitor their behavior and gradually gain their trust with patience and care. Providing a cozy and secure environment in the garage with food, water, and comfortable bedding will help.

It's excellent that you've already scheduled a vet appointment. This will ensure they receive the necessary care. Good luck with the process, and I hope everything goes smoothly for you and the cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rusty108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response. We did get a trap to get mom if needed. We are thinking if we can have her go in a smaller crate we have because she loves the temptations treats. Then we can get the babies in the bigger crate because they all go in there at night and cuddle together. Mom normally sits on top of deck and just watches. During the day they all sleep in all different places, on the chairs, bench and even the crate. Mom does as well. It is a big crate in the garage. We have hammocks in there a big soft compfy blanket on the bottom and then other heating pad mats etc. We have tunnels for them to go through to use the litter box and then a separate tunnel to get to the food but its still all connected together. It is definitely very spacious and comfy. I figure we will leave the smaller crate in there also once we get them in there and they can have another space. I also have a bunch of toys for them too. I already have put those on the deck and they have been using the litter box as well on the deck. We will absolutely be patient with them and we just want them to be ok. I hope we can get them and they like the new space because it is getting colder at night and I can put a heater in garage if needed and a fan too depending on the temperature.

BC1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow 8 kittens - so great that you are helping these guys out. Sounds like you have a great set up for them. How lucky they are. It sounds like you will be able to get mom into that other crate at some point. Can you let the vet know you are hoping to be able to do it by Monday but see if they will give you some flexibility as to the Monday date if you have to cancel on short notice and not charge you since it is somewhat out of your control. Definitely let the vet know that you aren't sure how mom will react so they can be prepared for their own safety. If you do end up getting mom in the humane trap you should cover it right away with a towel or sheet if she seems to be panicking. Covering them almost always calms them down right away - at least with the ferals. Sounds like with 8 kittens you might be able to find a rescue place that can get the kittens what medical things they might need at some reduced cost. I was able to find a local rescue place that neuters for $40 and spay for $55 which I think is reasonable but that is different than having them examined and other medical things that you are looking to do. I was just shocked that I was able to get it done for that cost. I hope it all goes well for you. Keep us updated.

rusty108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!!
thank you so much!! We were able to get the mom and 7 of the kittens. We set a trap for the kitten left but she’s not going in it. She slept in the hut we have had out there last night but she leaves as soon as we open the sliding glass door. We played her moms meow for her and she meows back. I’m really hoping she goes into the trap. The mom and kittens we got are doing pretty good. They are still adjusting to the new space but I got a fan and heater so they can be comfortable depending on the weather. I also got an air filter. I am going to out a few lavender air fresheners in there so that will hopefully soothe them. I talked to lollipop farm and they said we have to get the animals and surrender them fir them to be treated but we have to wait fir them to have an appointment for us. and we have to have an appt for them to clear us to foster after that. But we are doing our best now with the ones we have.

Attachments

rusty108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom is sleeping and the other babies are sleeping somewhere too. Some of them like the crate part. We have toys in there and hammocks and lots of soft blankets. But they all are not sure yet.

Attachments

BC1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness!! How lucky are those guys. I would like an air filter and lavender air fresheners too : ) That looks like a fun place to be for sure. So glad it went well so far. Good luck with that last kitten. I can't imagine 8 kittens. My feral momma only had 2 last year (unless something happened to any others) and only had 3 this year so I will consider myself lucky, but no more for her now. She was a very good mom and now she can relax and have a bit of an easier life hopefully.

rusty108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!! I hope they like it!! I just want them to be comfortable!! Mom is so sweet and she is an amazing mom too. I’m still so upset that we can’t get this last one. He or she is so smart. They will walk in the cage enough ti get a few treats and then go back and lay out side of it. They are so adorable and I know they are scared. They keep running away as soon as we go out to close the gate and then they go u def deck and meow. The kittens are still feeding a little off of mom and I’m just nervous he or she is hungry. It breaks my heart to hear the meowing for mom. Any suggestions on how to get her in the trap. I don’t know what to do. Will she get hungry enough that she’ll go in there.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What food have you tried? When I set traps I cover it with a towel and put blankets where the kitten steps. Even decorate the trap with flower pots. Is the kitten aware that you have a dog? Where have you put the trap?

rusty108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!!
yes I kept the trap on the deck because that is where they were all living so I’m hoping she can still smell her family. She comes up and sleeps in her hut but that’s to big to out in the trap. So I put down another pillowcase they were sleeping in when they were all together. Then I covered it with a towel and a rug that they were sleeping on and another warming pad. I think she went close to it last night cause she walked around it and then it shut. But she must have bumped it cause it was closed but not with her in it.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you rig the door of the trap so that when you see her go in to get treats you can pull it closed from afar with a rope or twine?

rusty108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not sure how to. We don’t always notice when she goes in to eat the treats because we have it covered. We’re going to try to rig something up but she is definitely a tricky one!!

rusty108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another question please. It seems like mama cat doesn’t notice that this one kitten is missing. I read online that if a mom has more than 5 kittens she won’t notice if one is missing. This is good if it’s true so that she doesn’t freak out. We got mom and the 7 kittens in garage Friday evening. Now we’re at Sunday. Is mom going to remember the kitten if we can get her. I dont want to upset mom if I bring her kitten and she doesn’t recognize her.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that she might display some stress or anxiety initially, but it's for their well-being, especially if they need medical attention.
I know that you've already got most of the kittens in. Just some perspective...

When we brought in our youngest, Elliot, from the outdoors, he was hurt. There was an abscess on his head. (From being in a fight.)
We had been letting him indoors, during the winter, to be fed and to give him a warm place to hang out.

When we noticed that he was hurt, we decided to take him to the vet, right away. (We had already pre-arranged a vet visit.)
So, When D-Day came, we let him into the house, gave him something to eat then, when the time was right, I just threw a blanket over him and stuffed him into the carrier. He struggled and tried to escape. It took three tries to get him into the box.

When he got back from the vet, we were certain he'd be wary of us for capturing him but he was completely the opposite. He suddenly turned from a wary, outdoor cat to a little snuggle bug who demanded to be on your lap whenever you sat down.

I guess cats really do understand when their humans are trying to help them! :)

Bottom line: When you are trying to capture a cat in order to help it, just go ahead, do the deed and don't worry.
It might be stressful but, in the long run the cat will understand it was for the better. :)

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that you've already got most of the kittens in. Just some perspective...

When we brought in our youngest, Elliot, from the outdoors, he was hurt. There was an abscess on his head. (From being in a fight.)
We had been letting him indoors, during the winter, to be fed and to give him a warm place to hang out.

When we noticed that he was hurt, we decided to take him to the vet, right away. (We had already pre-arranged a vet visit.)
So, When D-Day came, we let him into the house, gave him something to eat then, when the time was right, I just threw a blanket over him and stuffed him into the carrier. He struggled and tried to escape. It took three tries to get him into the box.

When he got back from the vet, we were certain he'd be wary of us for capturing him but he was completely the opposite. He suddenly turned from a wary, outdoor cat to a little snuggle bug who demanded to be on your lap whenever you sat down.

I guess cats really do understand when their humans are trying to help them! :)

Bottom line: When you are trying to capture a cat in order to help it, just go ahead, do the deed and don't worry.
It might be stressful but, in the long run the cat will understand it was for the better. :)
That's a heartwarming story, and you're absolutely right

sometimes, cats surprise us with their understanding. 🐱💕 It's wonderful how Elliot transformed into such a cuddly companion after his vet visit. It's a good reminder that our efforts to help them are often appreciated, even if it doesn't seem like it at the time.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do whatever you need to do to get this kitten back with its mom and litter. Mom will accept it back and the kitten will be safe and delighted. Uncover the trap if need be. Figure out when it goes in to eat treats and pull the string to close the trap door.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve got him trained, now. He’s allowed up on laps at any time but not ALL the time.

If you gently pat him on the bum, that’s his signal that he’s got five seconds to hop down before the human stands up and dumps (gently put down) him on the floor.

He learned pretty quickly. If you pat him and say, “Okay, buddy…” he gets down without much fuss.