stray cat - possible problem?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the remaining two! Minky just keeps getting friendlier. I just put her food down and she let me stay in with her while she ate it. She also drank almost a full bowl of cat milk which seems to be her favourite thing. I think some kind of trapping is the next step for me as well. She was snuffling and sniffing quite a lot just now. I think I'll try and get in touch with some cat rescue people for advice as to how to catch her and get her to a vets. She followed me back to the door and sat outside peering in. It was very hard to close the door on her but had to be done. The only thing I need to do now is convinve my boyfriend we really want another cat. He hasn't even seen her much as she runs away from him at the moment. He is worried about how our cat will cope. I've been putting our cat's fur (from grooming brush) around in the shed so Minky realises she's not the only cat around. Big kiss to Goldie and her kittens.

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Tara for your well wishes! You might need some antibiotics for Minky. It sounds like an upper respitory problem - not uncomon for the poor ones who have not had their shots. Goldie's brood has had this and we have doen the medication routine for them all. It clears up pretty good with the Amoxicillan in a few days. You kitty should be Ok if she has had her shots. My vacinnated kits have not caught anything from the others I brought in - or the two of the first litter I kept.
One little pathetic meow from Minky in front of the boyfriend will win over his heart. Good work Tara. Keep me posted?

tara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, there's good news and bad news. Good - Minky is getting used to me being around and is allowed i nto the kitchen when I'm getting his (having got a closer look, I can confirm definitely a he!) food ready and he doesn't run away when I go out - just sits there hissing at me when he first sees me. Bad - today he came in and was obviously really hungry as he was miaowing all the time I was getting his food ready and standing on his back legs near where I was. However, when I took his food out he went for my legs and scratched me quite badly. It's been snowing here and is really icy so I had to walk really slowly and he was under my feet and then went for me. I hissed at him and he ran off into the corner of the shed, looking as if he always expected me to turn nasty but I did only use my voice. The only other time he's been aggressive was about a week ago when he rubbed his face against me and I went to stroke him and he reached out with his paw and hissed but that was easily avoidable as it was more defensive than aggressive/ Is there a best way to deal with this sort of behaviour? I know I'll be more nervous when he's around me now as I am getting a bit scared of him!

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tara - sometimes mine will turn on me a little bit when thery are disturbed or anxious. This is new for Minky ~having a human really care for him. I for one think you have made EXCELLENT progress with him. If he has not been neutered, this may account for some of his behavior. Un-neutered males tend to be more territorial and somewhat more aggressive.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tara, you might want to try private messaging Hissy. She has worked with adult feral/semi feral cats for quite some time. She probably has some really good ideas on how to help calm him down a bit.

tara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks both of you - I'll try contacting Hissy. He went for me again last night but didn't manage to get me! I think the problem is because he feels a bit more comfortable near me so he goes in first to his little shed and then feels a bit cornered. He used to wait outside and then skulk in. Poor little thing - i noticed today his face looks mis-shapen where the jaw is as if he had something pretty terrible happen to him. Basically it looks as if his jaw partly caved in but his fur has grown over it so you can't tell until you get a close look at him.

clairey-pooh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
keep trying with him...you are making great progress. Even if he never becomes a housecat or gets very familiar with humans....at least he has somewhere to sleep and meals - something which he never had before.

I took in a stray (I think I have mentioned this before) and it was difficult, but now he's a firm member of our little family and very loving. He still turns on you from time to time (and oh boy..when he bites, you know about it!)

Let us know how you are gettign on...and just remember its ALL worth it.

Pooh

tara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thought i'd let people know how things are going with minky. he is now much friendlier (and fussier about his food as he knows he has a regular food supply). He hasn't spat or hissed or swiped at me for weeks and loves to roll over in front of me. I can stroke him quite happily but have not attemptd to pick him up. I am now at the stage where my boyfriend is reluctantly accepting him as he isn't so vicious and so we are taking steps to make him fully part of the family. I am going to try and put a collar on him with my phone number on it so if he has an owner hopefully they'll contact me. my own cat tolerates him being around and they sniff noses sometimes but also she chases him away if he gets into the house. I do let him in the house as he is desperate to get in and he behaves like a happy little house cat and settles down to sleep so i think he's had a home at some point. i have never heard him purr though which is sad. I put a note on the health forum about his eye as he rolls is up so only the white area shows and i'm not sure if this is a sign of a problem or not. Minky has more than repaid the time i've put into him - from being a scared little thing to a cat who will roll over in catnip and i'd like to thank everyone who offered my advice and told me to give him time. does anyone know if there are ways to 'prepare' a cat for being picked up as, if all goes well, I will have to get him to a vet for check-up and to be neutered?

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
This is really great news and I am so happy for Minky! I would approach him slowly and only try to pick him up if he feels safe. I would wear heavier clothing and perhaps only try a little at a time. See how he tolerates it.....please keep us updated on your progress.....Maybe just have alarge carrier near by and 'scoot' him into it instead of actually picking him up? As for the collar - you might want to make sure it is a break-away collar in case he gets into a tight spot.....
YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!