stray cat needs name and info

flagrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
there is a cat that i think is a stray as it is very shy. its been hanging out here for about a month on and off but will never let you get close to it. today i decieded im going to try to tame it. there is a bunch of stray's around so that's why i think its a stray so i'm going to only feed it at certain times and then sit there while he eats. so i went and got it some wet food till i can get some dry cat food here in a couple days. but when i opened the can and put it on the lid the cat came quick but wouldn't come any closer than 5 feet so i backed away from it. the cat ate and drank then i picked up the food bowl and left the water bowl. the cat is brown stripped with a big black strip down the middle and white paws with a white chin i dont know if his whole underside is white or not. i dont know if its a boy or girl. i need a name for it. i think it might be a boy but its just a hunch. and what should i do for him to get used to me and be able to get petted? so any info and name suggestions will be great. thank you

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do you plan to do with this cat? If you are feeding it and it comes to rely on you for food, will you continue feeding it?

If you can get it "tamed", are you willing to take it to a vet, have it checked out, neutered, etc.?

If you are not going to make a long-term commitment to this cat then it is really best to just leave it be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flagrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i am willing to make a long time commetment to the cat including vet and check up's.
and i went outside and and am outside now and the cat let me pet him and came up to me. followed me to the gate of the yard which we got a dominate cat named rambo so i kinda understand. so i dont know if he is a stray cat he does have his left ear cut, the top of it, and his color is like a brownish grey color with black strips has white chin and mostley white underside with white paws. i think he is young. he is a boy as i didn't feel any nipples. he is skiddish of noises and fast movements but he is laying on the ground beside me purring and falling asleep.
oh and his face has a redish spot on it and his eyes are rimmed in reddish orange he is beautiful
any ideas for names?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually if the tip of his ear is cut, that means he was neutered and vaccinated by someone at some point. It's not unusual for a TNRed cat to become more tame and find a nice home. Also, girl cats don't have nipples unless they're currently nursing a litter, so you have to check around back to see if it's a girl or a boy
. But I really do think that if the kitty's ear is cut, he/she is probably fixed.

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you're making progress if he's let you pet his belly thoroughly.

Male cats have nipples, though they are tiny; so do female cats when they're not nursing.

A picture of the ear might help us tell whether it was accidental or intentional.

How to determine gender:
http://ask.metafilter.com/19049/How-...e-sex-of-a-cat
(click the links "Male cat genitals inside! Female cat genitals inside!")

An unaltered male cat will have very obvious testicles, if it's an adult. Neutered males will have smaller testicles, or none at all. If the cat is a female, the vet might be able to tell whether or not she's been spayed. I looked for a scar on my female cat's belly, though, and couldn't find one.

If you are uncertain of the gender, please get the cat to a vet soon so you can get her spayed if she's female. If there are a bunch of strays around, the last thing you want is yet another litter of kittens.