Stray Cat Living Under My House...help?

Pandora2107

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, just 2 months ago I took a stray cat into my home that was living under my house! And now there is another one. I now have 2 cats (which don't really get along themselves) plus the cat under the house. He is super skittish, he comes in through the cat door to eat leftover wet food but runs out when he sees us. Yesterday n this morning I have put a can of wet food under the house. I live in WA State & it's been pouring for a few days n will thru the weekend. I don't know what to do w/him or her? I'm so scared to take a cat to the shelter. For one they are so scared & two what if he doesn't get adopted? I would love to keep him but it's a hard enough time w/Echo & Lennox. Also our landlord only said 1 cat n he lives right in front of our house! Any suggestions?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The cat clearly needs a home. It must be miserable for him living under the house with so much rain.

Can you keep the kitty inside temporarily until you can find a rescue organization to take him? Call around and find a no-kill rescue organization.

Keeping him in would allow him or her to calm down while you sort it out. The cat probably needs a spay or neuter as well.

Thank you for feeding the cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pandora2107

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would love to keep him inside but he won't come to me he runs. He comes in our cat door but then darts outside under the house once he sees us. I'm sure the 2 other cats don't help either. I'm going to try and find somewhere for this little guy. I've been up since 3am just so upset!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you close the cat door after he comes in? Put the other cats in another room long enough to catch the little guy? Is he a kitten?

Please let us know what you decide!

Pandora2107

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can try that. He stays pretty close to the door though. I just found 3 no kill rescues in my area. I just hope they have room & it works out, I'm not sure how hard it is to get a cat into one? Specially since I know ZERO about the cat. It's not a kitten. I'd say 1 yr to 2 yrs? It's a medium size grey and black tabby.

Pandora2107

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay! The cat FINALLY came inside my house right into my room when I was laying down! I'm keeping the other 2 cats out. She is SUPER friendly and not too skinny. Hasn't tried to bite or scratch me @ all.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
If it's impossible to keep her permanently, can you keep her in and start looking for a good no-kill shelter?
Cats often don't get on at first, so don't be surprised if that happens. Keep them seperate, and, if you have her for a long time, consider doing the whole 'introduction' thing.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

It's wonderful that she's inside and safe now. :)

Pandora2107

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She didn't sleep a whole lot, but she did good! She is SUPER sweet & loves to cuddle and be petted. She has BRIEFLY met the other 2 cats. Just a few soft growls. I am keeping her in a separate room for a few days though. As much as I want to I for sure can't keep 3 cats :( I'm only suppose to have 1 & my landlord lives maybe 25 feet from my house lol I'm so confused on what to do. Because the other cat that was living under my house a few weeks ago (Echo) doesn't really get along w/Lennox (the OG kitty). And he bites & scratches the most out of all 3. I feel like a bad person for even thinking about keeping her & getting rid of Echo. What should I do?

Attachments

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
If you surrendered Echo he may not find another home. He really needs you and may well settle down into a loving kitty. It sounds like the new kitty is very rehomeable. I think you should go with that. :wink: