Stray Cat in Critical Condition!! Please Help!!

valerie96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This past Wedesday (10/5/16), my friends and I were driving when we came across a cat in the middle of the street. His fur was matted and he was very thin. He was very sweet and allowed me to pick him up and put him in the car with absolutely no trouble. We named him Scotch. We took him to a local animal hospital, who gave us some advice and gave the cat some food (which he ate happily). From there, we took him to the SPCA. After examining him, they determined that he probably has several medical issues going on with him that would keep him from being put up for adoption, so they planned on euthanizing him to make room for animals who were more likely to find a home. Obviously, that didn't sit well with me, so I picked him up today (Friday 10/7) and brought him to a family member's house who had a space for him.

Scotch weighs about 6 lbs (he is severely underweight for his size - you can see and feel almost all of his bones). The SPCA estimated him to be about 13 years old. He was treated for fleas while he was at he SPCA. He is FIV positive, and we're currently waiting to hear back about his blood test results (the vet at the SPCA suspects a complication with his thyroid). He is neutered, but he wasn't microchipped. However, he is so very loving and sweet - there's no way this cat was born on the streets. 

He has been at his temporary home for about six hours now. In that time, he has only been drinking water. Both wet and dry food have been offered to him, but he hasn't touched it. This is concerning to me, because just two days ago he was happily eating the food we gave to him at the hospital. He's very weak and is in very rough shape. In the picture below, you can see just how thin he is. I don't know what to do to get him to eat but he needs to have something soon. I'm really worried. 

Does anyone have any advice on where to go from here?? Thank you so much!

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you try to give him baby food? The Gerber meat baby foods and make sure they don't contain onion and garlic. Baby food is often recommended for cats the have appetite loss. It can help them gain their appetite back.

Sending prayers and hugs for this little guy. He's adorable. Thank you so much for taking care of him.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @Valerie96  Welcome to The Cat Site.

Thank you so much for helping this poor boy. Cats that are FIV + often have trouble eating because the condition makes them prone to mouth infections. I suggest that you take him in for a dental check when you can. Right now the thing that needs to be addressed is his refusal to eat. As Tamu has suggested, Gerber's Stage 2 baby food, plain meat with no onions or garlic, is great for cats. It's soft enough for him to lick from your finger, try offering him some this way and see if he'll eat a little.

Another thing you could try is bone broth.

He looks like he could have a cold. Is his nose running or does he sound kind of wheezy? Cats don't like to eat when they can't smell properly so this could be why he hasn't eaten yet. Try offering him some warm wet food, this will smell stronger than cold food. Make sure the food is on a flat, shallow dish. If his whiskers touch the side of the bowl it can be uncomfortable for a cat that has a cold. Also, try elevating his dish by putting it on top of a couple of books. If he has to lower his head his nose will start to run and this will make it uncomfortable to eat.

It's not unusual for cats to  refuse to eat for their first 24 hours in a new home. It could just be that he needs to settle in. Make sure there is food available if he wants it and hopefully something will work.

FIV is manageable, there is no reason he can't have a happy, healthy life. I found a kitten who tested positive for FIV last year. You can read about her here.

[thread="300367"]Sick Possibly Fiv Feral Kitten​[/thread]  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valerie96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I have a cat at home with FIV so I'm pretty well versed with those concerns regarding that condition. Right now I really just want to focus on getting food into his system, so this advice is fantastic. I'll keep you guys updated if you'd like. 

Thank you so so much 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Thank you so much! I have a cat at home with FIV so I'm pretty well versed with those concerns regarding that condition. Right now I really just want to focus on getting food into his system, so this advice is fantastic. I'll keep you guys updated if you'd like. 

Thank you so so much 
Yes, please keep us updated. I'd love to hear how he does.

Good luck with everything.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you so so much 
re food.  Its essential, whatever food - small portions but may be often. To the starved and emaciated Too biig portions are more dangerous than yet another day of starving.

If you can get raw goats milk, preferably fresh but frozen is OK - its good, and may be the decisive factor here.  If you cant get raw,  bottled, powdered or cartooned are OK to use too....

Be sure he is warm and comfortable. The weaks and sick are always freezing no?

In the immediate situation: have some glucose sugar and a trifle of salt in the drinking water, ie make a sort of homemade pedialyte.  If you cant get glucose sugar, common honey is OK.

If he gets really weak or lethargic, smear some thick honey water on his lips and gum.  It gives quick energy.

You can brush him with a toothbrush, feels alike licking...  Talk much with friendly voice, make friendly noises...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. if you cant get raw goats milk, common kmr is of course a good alternative.  GNC or  PetAgs KMR in powder, for example. kitten mothermilk replacement.

Some full fat mild youghurt may be useful too...

If he got much to eat at the vet, he  is perhaps uneasy in the stomahck, and this is why he hasnt no appetite?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, at that age I suspect something is going on with his health (probably kidneys or thyroid). Healthy cats rarely end up emaciated unless they get trapped somewhere with no food. Even on the streets they usually find enough food to keep from getting that underweight. I will hope that he wandered away from home and not that his owners dumped him in that condition :/.

But what I'm saying is, I don't think food alone will help the poor guy. Hopefully his blood test results come back soon and you can start him on the proper treatment. But he still needs to eat, so try whatever you can think of. Tuna, rotisserie chicken, baby food, super fancy cat food, etc. Some sick cats will eat treats so that might work. Pounce or whatever brand.

valerie96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He started eating early this morning. I'm on my way to the place he's staying now. I'm definitely going to be trying the bone broth and the baby food still, just to get extra nutrients in him, and I'll definitely try and get my hands on some raw goat milk. We're anxiously awaiting the call from the vet!! Thank you all so much for the advice!

valerie96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Updates: Scotch is doing much better. He's gained a lot of strength and seems much happier. One thing that makes me really happy is the fact that he'll now swat at me when I clean the crust from his eyes (he used to just sit lethargically and let me do it). He's very sweet and loves affection. He's finally starting to purr! Unfortunately he's a pretty picky eater (he wasn't a fan of the bone broth), but he still will eat the baby food and wet food I give him.

I got his blood test results back and here's what I've got: he's FIV+, he's hyperthyroid, anemic, and his white blood cell count is really high which means he's either fighting an infection or he's got leukemia (according to the vet). They're giving him an antibiotic and meds for his thyroid and they want to retest his blood in 4 weeks to see how the white cell count is. Fingers crossed.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I can see that he looks better already. What a lucky guy to have someone like you to care for him.

Fingers crossed that it's an infection and not FeLV.