Stray cat had kittens on my porch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thewayshemoves

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much time you think I should allot for her to get comfortable before I try to move indoors?  I had a sort of breakthrough tonight with her.  I wasn't able to touch her, but I was able to feed her very closely.  She was at hands reach but any movement I made with my legs, and she'd run back.  If I just sat down and had food, she was much more willing.  I blinked slowly at her and talked softly as you advised.

Touching her at all is a milestone.

Last edited:

thewayshemoves

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At this point she needs a name better than "mama." 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She does need a name! Do you have any ideas?

It sounds like you are making progress with her. What do you think about trying the dog crate idea between now and the weekend?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T thewayshemoves

Hey there!

Haven't heard from you in a week! How's it going with mama and her kittens?

Kittens are almost 3 weeks old. Any luck getting everyone inside? Did #5 ever show up?

Have you named Mama yet? Is she letting you pet her more now?

Would love an update! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

thewayshemoves

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!  Sorry for the long delay.  Had some pretty bad storms that I think fried my power supply.  Had to dig out an old computer that sort of barely works.  On the bright side I found a digital camera in my "random computer junk that should be thrown away instead of hoarded" pile, so maybe I can get slightly better pictures. 

As for the update:  She does not do the house at all.  I did the carrier idea, got her inside to a nice quiet bedroom, and she was going insane.  Flailing all about making demonic noises and when I let her out she hid behind the toilet in the bathroom and wouldn't let me near her.  I was afraid with her flailing around on the kittens she would hurt them, so I let her out.  She never did calm down.  I sort of stayed away for a while to see if she'd acclimate, and she wouldn't move from the toilet.  I tried to coax her out with food, and even push her with a gloved hand to see if she'd just at least run back to her kittens, and she wouldn't have any of that.  After spending hours not moving from the toilet and growling every time I came by, I figured her kittens needed her more than she needed to be frozen in terror there, so I put the kittens back on the porch and propped the back door open and she made a dash outside and went back to taking care of them.  I'm willing to try again, but the carrier didn't work out at all, and she won't walk herself in to her kittens or food.  I was afraid she was going to hurt herself or something.

She's much calmer now that she's outside and I'm back to being able to pet her head a little while she eats.  She still isn't overly friendly, but the kittens seem completely fine with me being around and she's not immediately jumping up when I come outside.  She seems to be okay just letting them nurse with me watching now.

I do have some other developments.  There's another kitten, and a new mother hanging around on the back porch as well now.  The kitten is older, and not friendly at all, and the mother is the same way.  The mothers could pass as sisters (maybe they are and I'm just now seeing them?)  I was able to get a quick little picture of the new kitten before he bolted to the woods.  Seems I'm raising families now.  I'm feeding the new one the same amount as the other one.  They're not named yet, I haven't thought of anything fitting of her, and now with there being a second that's even harder, haha.  This does kind of worry me, though if people are just dropping off so many cats here.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you have a fascinating "Peyton Place" drama going on at your place.  Can't wait to read what happens next.  Lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, what a cute baby!

I'm guessing the pregnant girls of the litter got dumped in your area. They are probably sisters. The little guy in your photo is likely the only survivor in sister's litter. I'm glad you're feeding both mamas, and hoping you can catch the new little guy for neutering eventually.

The only thing I could have suggested would have been to put the babies in the bathroom with mom, and plug in a Feliway diffuser. She may have calmed down eventually - or not. I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

I think at this point the fact she's calmed down again outside is a good thing. You've got your hands full, thanks to another irresponsible person who passed the buck.

We'll need to help you find a nearby shelter to work with on spays/neuters and adoption, and try to TNR (trap, neuter, release) the 2 moms. They may end up being yard cats, but sound too feral to adopt.

thewayshemoves

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, everyone!  Here's a new update since it's been awhile.  Had a few changes, so I figured I'd give an update and some pics.  The other mom that showed up actually has four kittens that are out and eating adult food now.  They're a mess.  Mom moved her babies again, and they're just starting to come out very slowly.  They seem to only come out much at night, so I haven't gotten many good pics of them.  Here's one I got under the porch.  One of them looking like a little bear or something, haha.

Here's another one in the bed before it went back to their "home."

Here's one of the mothers (they're hard to tell apart).

Here is most of the two mothers and older kitten 1

Older Kitten 2

Older Kitten 3

Older Kitten 4 (1,2, and 3 are different kittens, they're hard to tell apart, and 4 is a completely different coloring, haha)  Sorry for the blur, every time I opened the door he ran off, so I had to take it through the door.

One of the mothers with one of the older babies and hind end of older baby 4.

Bonus pictures of Stormy enjoying his new kingdom inside the house.  He's taken a liking to it and won't stop hogging the bed, the chair, or my keyboard.  Whichever I want at the time, haha.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing photos! Is there any way you can trap them? Mom needs tnr and the babies are nearing the point where socializing them will become difficult.

How is the other litter?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T thewayshemoves

Hey there!

I love all the pictures! Lots of black cats! The little guys are so cute, and mama is so pretty! Her coat shines from all the good food she's getting.

I was recently wondering how you were doing. The mama who had the litter on your porch has kittens that will be 6 weeks old on Thursday. They must be weaning onto the solid food when they come out at night.

How old do you think the other litter is? I'm convinced these gals are sisters and were dumped off together.

It's time to trap and spay the moms. Do you have a low cost clinic nearby? Or if you tell me your city in Alabama I can look for you. And you'll need to borrow a trap if you don't have one. Humane Societies rent them. The kittens can go later, but the moms need to go ASAP before they get pregnant again.

Are you able to handle any of the kittens?

P.S. Stormy gets to be King of the House! Now you have to ask permission to use what used to be your own bed, chair, etc! ;)

Last edited: