Stray cat had kittens in our nesting box

Tvanlengen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any advice here would be great... So a few weeks ago a homeless pregnant cat showed up at my house. I had a male cat here that was not fixed. I went and got him fixed and usually once I get rid of one cat and rehome it, there's another one that shows up. Well my boyfriend built a solid nesting box for her and used just real insulation. I can't take her inside because he's allergic. When I say he's allergic, he'll go into anaphylactic shock. He's been very supportive, though. I called the shelters and basically they told me they can't help me. I am so scared to bother her or interrupt her. She's been eating anything I give her and all the kittens look healthy. I'm going to just leave her be but I'm worried about the fact they can't regulate body temperature. I noticed she was doing a strange growl when she came out to get something to eat and I assumed she was growling at the kittens and predators but it made me pretty nervous. As long as I leave her be and make sure they're healthy she should be okay right? I've kind of grown attached to her. I was upping her caloric intake and making sure she was fed well.

Baker's Mom

An official cat sucker!
Kitten
Purraise
Any advice here would be great... So a few weeks ago a homeless pregnant cat showed up at my house. I had a male cat here that was not fixed. I went and got him fixed and usually once I get rid of one cat and rehome it, there's another one that shows up. Well my boyfriend built a solid nesting box for her and used just real insulation. I can't take her inside because he's allergic. When I say he's allergic, he'll go into anaphylactic shock. He's been very supportive, though. I called the shelters and basically they told me they can't help me. I am so scared to bother her or interrupt her. She's been eating anything I give her and all the kittens look healthy. I'm going to just leave her be but I'm worried about the fact they can't regulate body temperature. I noticed she was doing a strange growl when she came out to get something to eat and I assumed she was growling at the kittens and predators but it made me pretty nervous. As long as I leave her be and make sure they're healthy she should be okay right? I've kind of grown attached to her. I was upping her caloric intake and making sure she was fed well.
Look online at how to make a styrofoam cat shelter. You use a basic big styrofoam container, cut a hole in it and then use straw for insulation on the bottom. This is something that can be used during very cold weather in the winter, and should allow her and the kittens to be warm and feel safe. Once you've made this, move the kittens into it yourself. Speak in a gentle tone and the mother cat, even though she may growl, will allow you to touch them. Once they are moved inside she will follow. Thank you so much for taking care of them and for all of the rescues you have done! Hope this helps.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any rescues able to help with intaking the kittens when they are 6 weeks old? Then momma can get spayed asap and you can continue to care for her. I would try handling the kittens when they are 4 weeks old just so they are used to people which will make it easier to find them homes. Be sure to be feeding momma kitten or all life stages wet and dry food.

Baker's Mom

An official cat sucker!
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know where you're located, but in our area we have several organizations that do very inexpensive spays and neuters on feral cats. Try a Google search to look for organizations in your area that help with feral cats, or do inexpensive spays and neuters. Many cities will also have a trap, neuter, release program (TNR program). Try a search for that, as that's often free. They will spay the cat and give it back to you.

If you want to put them into a shelter, make sure that you do a no-kill shelter. Do not take them to your local animal control shelter. I would also give a call to the Humane Society in your area to find out if they would do an intake of the mother and the kittens to rehome them. They often will work with feral animals to make them social and find homes for them. If not, search for organizations in your area that do this kind of thing. Google is your best friend for this. ❤

Baker's Mom

An official cat sucker!
Kitten
Purraise
Look online at how to make a styrofoam cat shelter. You use a basic big styrofoam container, cut a hole in it and then use straw for insulation on the bottom. This is something that can be used during very cold weather in the winter, and should allow her and the kittens to be warm and feel safe. Once you've made this, move the kittens into it yourself. Speak in a gentle tone and the mother cat, even though she may growl, will allow you to touch them. Once they are moved inside she will follow. Thank you so much for taking care of them and for all of the rescues you have done! Hope this helps.
One other thing to be aware of. The mother cat has the instinct to move the kittens around in order to keep them safe from predators. She will want to move them to different spots, not far away. You can move the styrofoam container when you see her doing that and put the kittens into it where she's moving them to, and hopefully she will use it. She may not, as she is trying to take the scent of herself and the kittens away from predators and the styrofoam container would have her scent. Just keep an eye out for her trying to move them.