Stray Cat Disco - Terrorizing the Neighborhood

tallyamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I am back her for help and advice and venting to people who understand. 

Three weeks ago I had to give one of my cats to a new home because she and her sister kept trying to kill each other.  Progress has been good for me and the cat I kept, and the cat I found a new home for is doing well, too.

All of a sudden it seems that my yard has turned into some sort of stray cat disco/fight club.  In the past week I have seen at least six different cats, none of which have a collar.  And they hang out in my yard.

After three weeks of doing great, I suddenly hear this horrifying "omg-help" type yowl from my cat, then she starts screaming.  I run into the living room, and she is scared to death.  I knew it was because she saw one of the stray cats outside.  I quickly opened a can of food to distract her (she is on a diet, lol), and she ran over to eat it.  I went outside to shoo the other cat away, but it was gone when I got out there .  When I came back in, my cat looked at me, hissed and screamed, and ran away.  I put the blinds up over the window, and went outside again to see if the stray was still there.  My cat jumped into the window, looked at me, and screamed.

<sigh>  Can I cry now?

I sat outside and calmed down a bit... waited until my heart stopped racing.  Came inside and my cat seemed fine.  When she was fighting with her sister she had a problem with my voice after the fight, so I didn't talk.  I put curtains up so she can't see out at all.

I walked around the neighborhood, talking to the neighbors.  A few of them mentioned that they had noticed that there are a lot of strays in this area lately, and that all the strays are terrorizing their cats, and sparying all over their yard.

I sprayed the Natures Miracle orange smelling stuff over anything concrete and plastic in my yard, hoping that will cover any smell.

I have previously called Animal Control over this.  They won't come out to trap stray cats, and, even if they did, they are way backlogged.

Now my poor cat, who is no longer mad at me, is slinking around the house, looking for her sister presumably.

<sigh>  I don't know what to do.  I want to try and catch some of the strays and drop them off at Animal Control to be microchip scanned and adopted out.

Any other suggestions?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TNRing the strays would help with the fighting/mating behaviors. Probably won't help with your kitty's redirection issue, though :/. You can call around to rescues to see if there's a TNR group in your area, or just do it yourself. If you drop them off at the shelter, they'll almost certainly be killed, so you have to decide if you're OK with that.

To keep your kitty from seeing out, you can cover the bottom part of your windows with privacy film, like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072YKLQK/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tallyamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  I am going to start calling the local feral/stray groups and see what they suggest about TNR.  Thinking about it last night I don''t want to do the Animal Control thing, because, even though they are disturbing the neighborhood cats, they are not doing anything wrong, and don't deserve that fate. 

Has anyone had any luck with predator urine?  Specifically coyote urine?  I've heard it works, but I don't want the problem of stray cats to be replaced with random dogs, or even worse, coyotes!

My cat did calm down pretty quickly last night.  Only the two hisses directed towards me during the "heat of the moment", which I think were just saying "Don't you dare get another cat"!

Has anyone else had any luck with a cayenne pepper spray for outdoors?  Or planting specific plants?  I've heard that they cayenne pepper can actually hurt the cats and/or other animals - I sure wouldn't want to step in it and then lick it off. 

And, one last thing.  Since all the drama with her sister is relatively fresh (drama lasted six weeks, and has only been resolved for three weeks), I am thinking that she is still a bit traumatized.  Do you think that may be a factor in her reaction to this?  Hopefully it is something that will clear up over time.

Thank you again all!