stray cat chunky hair

belllaherrera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! we have a beautiful kind stray cat that lives in our neighbourhood! we see it often and it’s been a stray here since a kitty :)
it seems to have lumps on its hair that may be from it itching itself with tree sap (?) and (because i have a dog) i know that matted hair/tangles can start becoming painful for certain animals. should i take it to the vet to get shaved? the clumps are becoming harder and harder every time i see it

attached is a terrible photo from a video i took, the clumps are much bigger and solid to the touch

would love any help to make sure this cat has a beautiful little life :)

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! we have a beautiful kind stray cat that lives in our neighbourhood! we see it often and it’s been a stray here since a kitty :)
it seems to have lumps on its hair that may be from it itching itself with tree sap (?) and (because i have a dog) i know that matted hair/tangles can start becoming painful for certain animals. should i take it to the vet to get shaved? the clumps are becoming harder and harder every time i see it

attached is a terrible photo from a video i took, the clumps are much bigger and solid to the touch

would love any help to make sure this cat has a beautiful little life :)
What a beautiful cat!!
I would not try to remove these on your own, unless they are not tight to the skin and come out easily with a brush, which isn't likely based on the photos.
A vet visit might be nice, so the vet can remove the mats and do things like check his ears, teeth, etc.
It's so good you're looking out for him!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes mats are extremly painful and her skin underneith could easily be iritated or infected. Do not try to cut them out by yourself, the skin is probably pinched and could easily be nicked by clippers or scissors.

Could you possably have her trimmed down at the same time?at least a sanitary cut so she can still go to the bathroom.