Stray cat chose my family

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthalynn770

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

called vet and told him there's slight vaginal bleeding. We are going in, along with baby Bailey. Please keep us in your thoughts. Any idea why she'd have fresh blood at this stage? She's acting completely fine

Last edited by a moderator:

samanthalynn770

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
. Better picture. Sorry so graphic, scared!! She's not liking being in the car, baby is crying . Really praying I'm doing good more than harm

Last edited:

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SL personally as long as it doesn't bankrupt me I'd rather run to the vet.  That said, a lot of the time I find they aren't really that decisive, I expect them to take charge and it's like well.....it could be......but I'm still glad I go (as is American Express I'm sure.)  But I would definitely be doing what you're doing just to make sure that her life wasn't in danger. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is normal for some vaginal bleeding after giving birth.

When it is not normal is when it's so much it's actually hemorrhaging, like a good sized area with blood.

It's okay, it will help give you piece of mind after such a traumatic find today.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just joined this group today and had to say how much your situation reminded me of mine. Stray, starving cat arrived on my doorstep. Discovered later she was pregnant (or perhaps had given birth - still have to work that one out). When I looked at the photos of your cat, I was astounded. It could be the same cat (except your is fatter). Not likely though. I'm in Australia. I hope everything goes very well for you, puss and her litter. She was lucky to find you.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Samanthalynn, I've just caught up on the latest in your ordeal. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of the 3 kittens - that was out of your control - but how beautiful that mother and baby are doing well. I do like the idea of getting reassurance from the vet that everything is now okay. Imagine if this mother cat had not found you what might have happened. Meant to be. You've done such a wonderful job. Looking forward to more updates and photos.

samanthalynn770

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the kind words. I'm feeling pretty glum today, still shocked at what happened as I never expected it to all fall apart like that. Late last night, we did find another kitten under a chair in the same room, it had been there awhile. Such a sad situation...
However, happy to report mommy and baby Bailey (a girl) are healthy, per the vet. The bleeding was apparently normal, and she had some slight tearing as well. Palpatations on mommas stomach were good, and she's such a terrific mom. Feeding, cleaning, and helping Bay to the bathroom. Very attentive. And Bailey is not shy either, she gave the vet a good couple of hisses, and is a very good eater.
Thanks for all the help during these past few weeks..it was defiantly a stressful experience and I urge everyone reading this to spay/neuter your cats! The vet said MK was pretty young, which could have attributed to the scene yesterday in which 4 beautiful fully developed kittens were lost. MK and Bailey will be spayed very soon, in fact MK already has a date. We won't be doing this again. Thanks everyone.

And now for the cute stuff

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I highly suspected this was the cause as well. She panicked and just started randomly popping them out, unsure of what to do completely, etc.

Youngster. How sad to find yet another..............:(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It would have been so much worse if you hadn't been kind enough to take her in when you did. Now you have a beautiful cat and a lovely little kitten, that's two good things to be thankful for.

Keep us updated, I'm looking forward to seeing lots of kitten photos.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@samanthalynn770 -- i'm not sure if you might consider this for your momma cat, MK. but if you thought your MK might respond well or it might make her happy/fulfilled, you might consider contacting local shelters explaining your situation and asking if they have any very young orphaned kittens in need of a momma cat to adopt them. you could foster the babies.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon,
The past couple weeks, I've found myself on this site several times. Around Valentines Day, a skinny stray cat showed up on our doorstep. Having 2 kids, and a very busy lifestyle, I chose to feed it on our front porch, but didn't bring it inside. However, over the next few days, the cat slowly worked its way into our front door, and our hearts. So, as a family decision, we decided to welcome the cat into our family. She was take to the clinic, de-wormed, given shots, and checked out healthy. We started "spoiling" her with food, treats and toys. She started to get rather round, and just two weeks ago we learned she's in "advanced pregnancy". Without knowing the conception date, we were not told a time-frame. We were told there shouldn't be an adverse effects of her having shots and being worked while (unknowingly) pregnant, so I am hoping and praying all goes well. Not sure exactly what I'm asking, only if anyone has been in a similar situation and can calm my mind? I'll be devastated if something goes wrong when I was only trying to better her health. I'm not sure how far along she is, only that she was depressingly skinny when she arrived, and now looks like she's swallowed a small football! I've been searching and reading the forums here, and impatiently waiting! This will be my first (and only) litter, as Im an advocate of spay and neuter. Her belly has been ripling around due to kitten movement, which has been visible to my eye for a little over a week now. Her appetite is voracious, but I have no indication on how it was previously. Any and all help is appreciated, while I
wait it out!! C'mon out kitties!!
what a beautiful tabby. What a lucky girl she is.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only just found this thread. How sad. My condolences to you and to mamma cat. I presume you'll be keeping mum as well as baby.