Stray Cat.. ..bloody, Crusty, Nipples, Five Kittens. Help Needed, Urgent. .. .!!!

fenris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, hope you're well. I just made an account here recently cause I have issues with a cat(stray) and I needed some help I hope someone is willing. She just gave birth to five kittens a week ago and everything was fine before today, I just went to check up on her and noticed that her nipples were crusty and red like BLOOD literally but they're not swollen or bleeding or anything, should I be concerned and not let the kittens feed from her or take her to a vet.?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fenris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for being honest, I hope someone will. ^_^

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have access to a vet? Do they answer telephone questions? If so the easiest is to phone and ask at first.

I dont remember problems looking so, and mastitis which is a not uncommon problem, is seldom on all the nipples at once... So its either something influencing her whole body, or nothing much.
5 kittens usually use 5 nipples, are the unusued nipples such red and crusty too? Or just the 5 heavily used?
Does she seems to have fever or other visible problems?
Hey, hope you're well. I just made an account here recently cause I have issues with a cat(stray) and I needed some help I hope someone is willing. She just gave birth to five kittens a week ago and everything was fine before today, I just went to check up on her and noticed that her nipples were crusty and red like BLOOD literally but they're not swollen or bleeding or anything, should I be concerned and not let the kittens feed from her or take her to a vet.?

fenris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No it's just the ones with the milk in them. She seems good no such fever or any other thing.

Do you have access to a vet? Do they answer telephone questions? If so the easiest is to phone and ask at first.

I dont remember problems looking so, and mastitis which is a not uncommon problem, is seldom on all the nipples at once... So its either something influencing her whole body, or nothing much.
5 kittens usually use 5 nipples, are the unusued nipples such red and crusty too? Or just the 5 heavily used?
Does she seems to have fever or other visible problems?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry for delayed response. We've been switching the site to a new platform.

Full answer in my post following your pictures.

Last edited:

fenris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
received_1245397115575766.jpeg
received_1245397132242431.jpeg
received_1245397128909098.jpeg
received_1245397105575767.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom's nipples look awful! Please use a warm, damp compress on them to clean them and soothe them, then use olive oil or coconut oil to lubricate them. Reapply as necessary.

Seeing the pictures, I think she may need an antibiotic. Can you get her to a vet? It may be mastitis.

This is horribly painful for mom.

Thank you for rescuing them!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you try with these oil on the teats - the best are coldpressed, organic style. Coconut oil is probably the best here, its afficionados tell it has some sootheing and antiinflammatory properties.

Olive oil is good too, but not the same potential edge. Although coldpressed organic olive oil, contains lotsa of E-vitamines and useful fatty oils, so it too is somewhat soothening.

This wont help if she has real mastitis oncoming, but it may help if its "just" minor inflammation.
No it's just the ones with the milk in them. She seems good no such fever or any other thing.

fenris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all these suggestions I'll try them out and take her to a vet probably after this. I pray that she'll be okay after these treatments and it's nothing to worry about and can you guys help me with some shower ideas she has fleas and I've been trying to get her to take a shower but she scrams and trys to bite me everytime, I'm kinda worried she might give them to her kittens.?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stop trying to give mom a bath for now. It's too stressful.

Can you get Advantage II? Using that treatment on mom should help her and babies. You can also comb mom and babies daily, and wash their bedding.

fenris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I changed there bedding today and I keep eye on them all night to see if she's getting irritated in anyway I'll try the warm compress today to make her more comfortable.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, use the warm, damp compress anytime she's not nursing. Also use oil as we mentioned. Do you have olive or coconut oil? No baby oil!

Do not shower or bathe mom. Put a tube of Advantage II on the back of her neck. It will kill fleas on the babies too by their proximity to mom.

fenris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I have both I guess I'm gana use the coconut oil it's more soothing and about the fleas I'll comb them on daily basis from now on but the advantage II I don't think I'll find it around here is there an alternative.?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not buy Hartz flea products. Where do you live? Pet shops and Walmart carry Advantage II, and it can also be ordered online. Vets sell it as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with SArthurs suggestions. But to your question, IF you anyways want/ need to bathe her.

The less stressful method is probably, you put a towel in the kitchen sink, so its nice and comfortable to sit on. And a comfortable height for you. You hold the cat there, talking and soothing. Nearar you you have two dishes of water, one with some suitable mild soap, for example the blue Dawn liquid soap (diluted of course). Body warm. Pour on and work on the fur some. And after it you pour clean fresh water to wash off. You can pour with a cup for example...
Something like that. Think through it, prepare everything beforehand, train on some friendly resident, cat or small dog, and perhaps then you and she will be ready...
Still, dont do it now unless desperate, let her cool down and relax. Your working with her nipples will be surely disturbance enough.

fenris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm from Lahore - Pakistan. I'll try the pet drug store tomorrow although I have to drive pretty far but it'll be worth it. I'll update with her and the kittens condition on a regular basis. Thank you for all the help you lot have provided, appreciate it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, you probably cannot get Advantage II in a store in Pakistan. You could search online to see if you can order it.

Yes, please keep us posted!

fenris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah sure thing, I just massaged her with coconut oil after the warm compress and she seems more relaxed then before she was literally sleeping when I started pampering her I'm in a bit of relief that it worked but I'm probably gana take her to a vet tomorrow just to make sure it's nothing to serious, hoping for the best.