Stray brought inside, possesive and swatting other cats.

wyatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning,

My wife and I were recently selected by a stray kitten (about 5 months old) who followed us home and camped out on our front lawn. Eventually we got her spayed, vaccinated and moved her in. She's the sweetest cat and loves affection from humans and our dogs. We let her recover from surgery and other issues in a spare room before starting to let her out into the rest of the house. Things were going well, just the usual hissing for a couple days, until one of our existing cats attempted to enter the spare room she had been staying in, she went flying at him smacking him with her paw until he ran away. The same behavior occured when trying to give treats to all 3 cats in the kitchen. I really love this new cat, but hate that she's causing distress in the house for the other two. The new cat is a spayed female, and we have a fixed male and female in the house already who are both a little over a year. Any advice to bring some peace to the house would be greatly appreciated, I would hate to re-home our new kitty.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Try reading through this TCS article about introductions (see link below), it might be that you started the introductions with the cats a bit prematurely, and missed a few key steps. Despite how young she is, which usually means a much smoother/quicker introduction process, the fact that she was a stray might play a role on her ability to adapt as fast as many kittens do.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a great video that might help as well. Remember that cat to cat intros can take weeks, months and even more than a year. It all depends on the personalities of the cats and the process of the introduction. I would go back to step one and start all over. All of my cat to cat intros have taken many months for full cat comfort.