Strange things at the shelter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We see some odd animals come into the shelter. Sometimes owners turn them in, and sometimes they're found as injured or stray animals. Birds are taken to a conservation group in Wilmer, TX. Wild rabbits are treated and released into the wild.

However, this week, someone found a large ball python in their garage! He's at the shelter now. Big boy, 4-5 feet long. And no one has come looking for him in the alloted time (3 business days), so he's ours now, to dispose of. I think the Animal Control officer may keep him; he's a big snake fan.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh... people have a tendency to get these kinds of exotics w/o really understanding what's involved and when it proves to be to much... they dump them.

These reptiles are not native to the US... and I saw a story on Animal Planet that they are wrecking havoc with wildlife and native species there in the Everglades... including gators!!!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a ball python at the high school where I taught biology years ago. His name was Houdini . . . and you can figure out why. He'd be missing for weeks (and this happened over and over), only coming out when he wanted the humans to feed him a rodent. Though he belonged in another lab, he would appear anywhere. So I was always wary of reaching into all those cupboards in my lab room. I don't appreciate snakes.

Robin

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We had one get into our cellar a couple of years back. The police came and picked it up and took it to a shelter after the zoo said they had no interest. The cops figured somebody abandoned it when it got too big (we live in a cul-de-sac, so a "perfect" place to dump unwanted animals).

The last time I checked the shelter's website it was still there (probably along with the cat carrier I'd put it in - I never did get that back).

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhhh I'd love to find a ball in my garage

Snakes are AMAZING escape artist, alot of times these snakes get out of the house on their own. I don't think people let their ball pythons go as they don't get very big, it's usually burmese pythons or retics that people let go into the wild.

Balls are such a nice, calm snake, hopefully he likes his new home!!

wildkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine escaped for two weeks once, found him in a drawer sneaking around.... I then invested in a lock for his cage.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YIKES!!! I would freak at the site of that snake. Snakes give me the heebie jeebies
. Yes, that is the first I have ever heard, a snake at the shelter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just got home from shelter morning. The snake is still there. I took a photo, and I hope to get it up later this week.

I also took a baby dove over to Wilmer where there is a bird rehab center. Fascinating place; I've never stood that close to hawks, owls, pelicans, great blue herons, etc.

By the way, I specifically asked about their experience with cat-injured birds. They said the get a LOT of birds that have been caught by a cat but taken away by the owner, especially when fledgelings are leaving the nest.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I worked with Ball Pythons at camp(among others). The kids really liked the way they ball up in your hand. I have no problem with snakes even though I've been bitten a couple times, but only during feeding times and most were my mistake.