Strange Thing on Bottom Lip

TCB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our elderly outdoor male cat (Socks) has developed something hanging from his lower lip (pics attached). This appeared a few days ago. Not sure if this is actually part of his lip or somethings else.

Socks has also been losing a lot of weight in the last couple of months and seems to have difficulty eating.

Curious if anyone else has seen this before.

Thank you.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is Socks? Are you able to handle him a bit? If so, I would try soaking that area with some warm water to see if it is just something stuck to him. He might be drooling and the saliva, mixed with food, is stuck in his fur around his mouth. The drooling could be dental/teeth related, which could help to explain his eating difficulties. I can't tell from the pics if there is blood involved, but there could be.

Does he get regular vet checkups? Given his likely advanced age and weight loss, he needs at least a full-scale senior blood work up done, including a thyroid check, to see if that would shed light on his weight loss. It may all be due to whatever is going on with his mouth as well. The vet could take a look at that too. If whatever that is doesn't come off with just soaking, don't pull on it and leave it be until you can get him to the vets.

I sure hope you can get him to a vet, as it would seem he could really use to be examined.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
are you sure its from his lips and not from his tooth that may be preventing him from eating? It almost looks like a thread stuck; maybe chewing carpet thread? but hard to tell in photos. I suggest try taking him to the vet so they can get a closer look.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. How old is Socks? Are you able to handle him a bit? If so, I would try soaking that area with some warm water to see if it is just something stuck to him. He might be drooling and the saliva, mixed with food, is stuck in his fur around his mouth. The drooling could be dental/teeth related, which could help to explain his eating difficulties. I can't tell from the pics if there is blood involved, but there could be.

Does he get regular vet checkups? Given his likely advanced age and weight loss, he needs at least a full-scale senior blood work up done, including a thyroid check, to see if that would shed light on his weight loss. It may all be due to whatever is going on with his mouth as well. The vet could take a look at that too. If whatever that is doesn't come off with just soaking, don't pull on it and leave it be until you can get him to the vets.

I sure hope you can get him to a vet, as it would seem he could really use to be examined.
Thank you for the detailed reply. We will be taking Socks to the vet today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
are you sure its from his lips and not from his tooth that may be preventing him from eating? It almost looks like a thread stuck; maybe chewing carpet thread? but hard to tell in photos. I suggest try taking him to the vet so they can get a closer look.
Thanks. We will be taking Socks to the vet today.