Strange/sudden chest pains

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by saya

just curious, do you suffer from anxiety?

I've had a few really bad panic attacks that were exactly like what you described. After having tests done to see if they were stroke or heart attack it was determined that they were stress induced anxiety attacks. I take medication on an as-needed basis for them now.
Hmm, not really. I do worry about stuff occasionally but not excessively and whatever I worry about I usually forget about haha, especially with two cats around always begging for food or attention.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Go see your doctor and get a Vitamin D level done.

I had severe, severe pain in my left ribs for over 3 years! I bawled like a baby whenever I coughed, sneezed, burped, took a normal breath or even lightly touched the area. And sleeping on that side was out of the question! It was horrible!
Vitamin D? Hmm, now that you mention it I've been staying mostly inside all winter (weather's been horrible). I got a free blood test at work last year maybe they'll have one again soon.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Hmm, not really. I do worry about stuff occasionally but not excessively and whatever I worry about I usually forget about haha, especially with two cats around always begging for food or attention.

Vitamin D? Hmm, now that you mention it I've been staying mostly inside all winter (weather's been horrible). I got a free blood test at work last year maybe they'll have one again soon.
Vitamin D levels are not part of standard blood work. They have to be requested specifically.

If you have been primarily indoors for extended periods of time, chances are you do not have enough Vitamin D in your body.

Lack of Vitamin D affects the absorption of Calcium into your bones and teeth. It causes bone pain and also depression.

If you are low on Vitamin D, a regular supplement that you buy over the counter will not boost your levels. You will need to have some high doses which are only available by prescription.

Now that my levels are back up, I maintain them by eating Salmon a couple times per week as well as taking 1,000 units of over the counter Vitamin D everyday.

I'm not an outdoors type person. In fact I hate being outside because of the bugs in the summer and cold in the winter. My idea of getting back to nature is opening up my apartment window, otherwise I would be very happy to live my life in doors
If I had a mansion and staff to shop for me and run errands, I would never leave my house! LOL ANd that's not because I have a social phobia because I don't. I love being around people at times, but I just don't like the outdoors.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If you are low on Vitamin D, a regular supplement that you buy over the counter will not boost your levels. You will need to have some high doses which are only available by prescription.
actually, i have a source for high dose vitamin D available w/o a script... 50,000IU per cap... she has other dosages available, too: Vitalady

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It shouldn't cost too much to order that test, even without insurance. I think the easier to test for things cost around $30-35 max here, including draw fee.

I think they suggest at least 15 minutes a week of sunshine? Easy enough to get while going about daily errands between home and stores. Just sitting in front of an open window for a few minutes a day could help.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

actually, i have a source for high dose vitamin D available w/o a script... 50,000IU per cap... she has other dosages available, too: Vitalady
You shouldn't take high doses of Vitamin D without a doctors prescription and especially if you have not had blood work to determine if you are low on the vitamin or not. Too much can lead to Vitamin D toxicity which leads to too much calcium in the blood, which can lead to kidney stones along with:

* Fatigue (tired feeling)
* Excessive sleepiness
* Confusion
* Coma
* Extreme muscle weakness
* Loss of appetite
* Nausea, vomiting
* Stomach pain
* Constipation
* Changes in your heartbeat (too slow or too fast)
* Frequent urination
* Excessive thirst
* Dry mucous membranes (the lining of your mouth and throat)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I can't remember... but I think laureen227 has some absorption issues?
yup, gastric bypass 2 years ago. my D levels are fine.
i was not prescribing, tho - just pointing out that high IU dosages are available w/o a script.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Hey everyone, just came back from the ER. They took an x-ray and an EKG and didn't find anything strange so that's a relief. The doctor there said it might be "costocondritis" and told me to take whopping doses of ibuprofen. Still in pain but hopefully it won't run too long. Thanks for everyone's concern, and the ER visit put me at ease too knowing it wasn't something more serious.
That is excellent. I'm sure you thought we were too hasty, but believe me when I say that the 9 minutes between your message and mine could have been the difference between life and death.

The one thing I omitted was that if you think you're having a heart attack, you should take two adult aspirin (not acetaminophen or ibuprofen) immediately.

I wish someone had twisted my mother's arm. She had her heart attack while she was filling out paperwork in the ER, after she had ignored symptoms for almost 12 hours.