Strange spot/scab on cats back

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found a strange spot on my cats back yesterday while petting her. I thought it was a scab and I started poking it to remove it but was not able. I have no id what it is..I’m attaching picture (the best I could take). When she lays on my lap she lets me feel it, almost seems like she knows I’m trying to get it off. I dont know if I should continue to pull it out or maybe I could put something on it to loosen it…I’m puzzled…anyone have any idea what it could be? I’m not finding any more on her.

thank you

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't try to remove it, especially if it were to be a scab, it will fall off on its own when healed. It doesn't sound like it is bothering her, so I would just keep an eye on it.

Does she go outside? If not, is there anything inside the house that she could have scraped her back on? I would try to find a source in order to prevent it from happening again.

You might consider taking pics of it to see if it gets better or worse. That way, if it does grow or get worse, you have pics to share with the vet.

Just as a home remedy - not for the sake of removing it, but for the sake of trying to avoid an infection and keeping it clean, you can use chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then soak that place using cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe should she be able to ingest any.

This is all on the assumption that it is a scab and not some type of growth. But, if you keep an eye on it and take pics, you should soon find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't try to remove it, especially if it were to be a scab, it will fall off on its own when healed. It doesn't sound like it is bothering her, so I would just keep an eye on it.

Does she go outside? If not, is there anything inside the house that she could have scraped her back on? I would try to find a source in order to prevent it from happening again.

You might consider taking pics of it to see if it gets better or worse. That way, if it does grow or get worse, you have pics to share with the vet.

Just as a home remedy - not for the sake of removing it, but for the sake of trying to avoid an infection and keeping it clean, you can use chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then soak that place using cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe should she be able to ingest any.

This is all on the assumption that it is a scab and not some type of growth. But, if you keep an eye on it and take pics, you should soon find out.
Thank you. I think you were the one who suggested to use the tea on another cat
that kept biting his front legs, and it did seem to help. In fact, I’ve tried a couple of times to put the solution on the cat I wrote about now. My cats have fleas and now I’m worried. Would it be some type of worm or if they have worms do they just exit around their butt? She has no other symptoms she’s acting as normal she’s eating, etc. butt is clean and I’ve been giving them the advantage II for flea treatments. Also combing them twice a day and vacuuming as often as I can Due to severe case of scoliosis

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I’m also wondering if it might be a bite and it’s actually a piece of dead skin that I’m feeling?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I often recommend chamomile tea, as it can be helpful and it not in any way harmful, unless I suppose a cat were to be allergic to chamomile.

The most common worm coming from fleas would likely be tapeworms, which can happen when a cat ingests infected fleas. You would see them around a cat's behind and even in their stool, maybe on their bedding. I suppose other kinds of worms could be picked up from outdoors, usually also found in the same areas, and about the only way to confirm that would be to have a stool sample tested at the vet. There are broad spectrum wormers, and some people use them without confirming there are worms - I personally wouldn't, but I know some who do.

I am not sure what kind of bite you have in mind. Not from a worm, for sure. But, from fleas, either from biting or crawling on your cats, which can make them itchy and could cause wounds from scratching too much. If they go outside, it could be from other sources of bugs that bite too.

Dead skin is essentially what a scab turns into, and it is there to protect the area underneath while it heals and then falls/sloughs off - if left alone - when the area is healed. Be careful when flea combing not to comb off the scab.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I often recommend chamomile tea, as it can be helpful and it not in any way harmful, unless I suppose a cat were to be allergic to chamomile.

The most common worm coming from fleas would likely be tapeworms, which can happen when a cat ingests infected fleas. You would see them around a cat's behind and even in their stool, maybe on their bedding. I suppose other kinds of worms could be picked up from outdoors, usually also found in the same areas, and about the only way to confirm that would be to have a stool sample tested at the vet. There are broad spectrum wormers, and some people use them without confirming there are worms - I personally wouldn't, but I know some who do.

I am not sure what kind of bite you have in mind. Not from a worm, for sure. But, from fleas, either from biting or crawling on your cats, which can make them itchy and could cause wounds from scratching too much. If they go outside, it could be from other sources of bugs that bite too.

Dead skin is essentially what a scab turns into, and it is there to protect the area underneath while it heals and then falls/sloughs off - if left alone - when the area is healed. Be careful when flea combing not to comb off the scab.
I was thinking if might be a bite from one of my other cats…I’ve checked her butt and litter boxes and i don’t see anything. I’ll continue using the chamomile tea and see how it goes.
thanks again