Strange problem--won't leave me alone while I'm singing?

litgirl334

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

I have a sweet little 2 year old rescue kitty. She's a total dream most of the time, very cuddly and friendly, but I discovered almost immediately after getting her home that she can't stand when I sing. I think she thinks I'm in pain, because she runs to me the moment I start singing and jumps into my lap or gets right in front of my face (if I'm lying down) and will not leave me alone until I stop. If she can't get to me she meows frantically until I either let her up or stop singing. In principle this is sweet (if slightly offensive--I'm not THAT bad of a singer!), but it's really starting to get on my nerves. I sing a lot, and I occasionally audition for things where I need to be practicing songs, and it's impossible to do that (or listen to music on my computer while doing schoolwork) if the cat is headbutting me or crying or rolling around on me. Weird question, but do you guys have any idea how I might be able to convince my little girl that singing does not equal dying? It's gotten to the point where I'm getting irritated that I can't just lay down and do my homework while singing along to some music because the cat will walk back and forth in front of my computer until I stop. Moving her doesn't help, petting her doesn't help. Any suggestions? I feel dumb getting irritated when she's so clearly concerned about my wellbeing, but sometimes I just want to rock out to some dorky pop music without having to fend off the cat!

jem_fritz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Little Kitty comes running up to me when I fake cry.  It's cute.  I'm not sure how to make your cat stop though :/