Strange patch on cats paw

Keekeexoxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I’m new here so not sure how it all works, but I would like a bit of advice if anyone can help. I have a 1 and a half year old male cat called Jasper who always seems to have something or the other wrong with him. He’s got a very sensitive stomach and all of a sudden can’t eat dry food anymore as he automatically pukes it back up and whole. So he’s been off the dry food for about a month now and I did start noticing an improvement how ever this morning it seems like he was sick again. I put his regular food out and he was no where to be seen just his brother (Jasper is always the first out for food) I managed to get him to eat and I noticed this unusual looking patch on his paw that looks a little like a sore with the hair smoothed over it could any body tell me what it could be 🤔

I did try getting a better picture but it’s in such an awkward place.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I cannot tell from the pic if there is wet, matted fur on the foot, as you describe, and what is under the wet fur. Is the skin open, coarse, weepy, injured? You may have a separate issue with the sensitive stomach and I doubt that is related to the foot. Moving him to wet food was a good idea, but if he continues to refuse food he will need to see a vet. Would he eat another flavor or texture of food for a start?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Keekeexoxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I cannot tell from the pic if there is wet, matted fur on the foot, as you describe, and what is under the wet fur. Is the skin open, coarse, weepy, injured? You may have a separate issue with the sensitive stomach and I doubt that is related to the foot. Moving him to wet food was a good idea, but if he continues to refuse food he will need to see a vet. Would he eat another flavor or texture of food for a start?
Hi thanks for your reply,

it seems as though it was wet but it’s like the only way I can describe is how it looks when hair gel dries. It’s not open but it’s really hard to tell as the hair is so dry and stiff however it’s quite red and looks like there’s a small scab near the pads of his paw. He isn’t actually a fussy eater just a sensitive stomach, and completely random he started vomiting his dry food. I gave him his last feed a couple hours ago and he seemed to be eating fine. Also he lost hair before on his tail due to him eating the Tesco brand food so that’s why I thought the issues might be connected.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he limping at all on that foot? It's possible he stepped on something and cut his foot, of got in a fight with his brother, or could be so many different things. Try to clean it with something like Hibiclens (drug store) or even just warm water to losen the stiff dry fur to really see whats under there. If it looks too bad, take him to the Vet. If it's doesn't look too bad, see if it starts to heal up on it's own. Too mad it's on the bottom of his foot, since it's hard to keep clean in the litterbox.