Strange outdoor cat behavior?

nlevi42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've made a bunch of posts on my cat Morris' health but lately he's been acting strange. He's been an indoor/outdoor cat since he was just a baby and he's been fine, never gotten injured or anything. A couple of days ago he started exhibiting strange behavior. When it's time for him to come in, if he's not already inside, I go and call for him and usually find him in our back alley.

This time I found him in our side alleyway just laying down, which is extremely unusual because he always lays on his side outside ever since he was a kitten and he's just had his stomach shaved for surgery anyway so it must have been uncomfortable. He didn't react at all when I called him, just looked away from me, but didn't protest at all when I picked him up (which is also unusual for him as he wants to stay outside most of the time, and he ALWAYS runs to me when I call for him).

It happened again today; I went outside to look for him because it was dark and found him sitting on the corner of our block. As soon as he saw me (at least I think that's what triggered it) he ran into the side alley again and laid down as he'd done the time before. He made a strange little grunt when I picked him up but didn't fight, even when a dog walked by and a car drove past he just sat complacent in my arms. If it makes any difference, my dad said he'd been at the back door but ran to the front sidewalk for some reason, possibly because he'd heard me calling.

He had surgery to remove a mass from his intestines about a month ago but he was doing really well at the vet checkup so I'm not sure if that's part of it. He also has a friend, a black cat who used to bully him but now they're buddies. Does anyone know if this strange behavior is something to worry about or should I just think of it as one of those weird things cats do?

here are some photos that I can't upload directly because they're copyrighted:

Example of the way he usually sits when he's outside:http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk...36-Bengal-cat-lying-down-white-background.jpg

How he was sitting when I found him both times (again, I have never ever seen him lay like this outside before) : https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/black-cat-laying-down-looking-to-right-1554736.jpg

He also returns to normal behavior as soon as he's inside and he's been an indoor/outdoor cat for 7 years. I'm not super worried about him being unhealthy, I just want to make sure he's completely safe outside 

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think those poses mean anything.  The second pose is just the 'cat loaf' pose and is very common.

But I've been looking at your other thread about moving and I think it would be a great idea to gradually transition him to being an inside cat.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nlevi42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I do tend to be a worrywart about him and I realize that my post was kind of unnecessary, haha. But thank you so much for responding! As of right now I'm going to be transitioning him out of being let loose outside to being walked on a leash in the hopes that once I move he can get exercise that way :) thanks again!