Strange New Longing For Comfort

markusboettner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! For the past two day, we have noticed a change in our cat's behaviour.

Background check: Once tibbs has warmed to someone, she is a very loving cat; she loves her comfort but is also very independent. If she doesn't want cuddles, she doesn't want cuddles. Respected. However, she never hisses or scratches. One might hear a little, short growl when picking her up. She doesn't mind being held but she doesn't always like being picked up.

New behaviour: For the past two days, she seems to need more comfort, to be closer to her two humans. Twice yesterday, she hissed at my wife when she had to move her to get up and make a cup of tea or answer the telephone. This morning, I sat down at the edge of the bed to put on my socks, when the cat jumped onto the bed and lay down beside me with her head resting against my leg. It is not unusual that she does this, but it is unusual that she does it so promptly, so 'longing to be close', sort of. Know what I mean?

Any ideas anyone?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might help to know some of Tibbs background. Is she fixed? Had a recent vet okay? Any recent changes in her life?

I read your other post. Welcome to the Cat Site!! Tibbs sounds like a beautiful cat!! Can we assume she is the cat giving you greetings in your avatar?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

markusboettner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello & thanks for your reply! Yes, that's herself in the picture, taken 27/12/2014. She was fixed after she had kittens when she was about 1.5 years old. (the kittens all found a new home.) She has all vaccinations, is micro-chipped and last saw the vet in May.

There were no changes in the household or her human environment. She eats as usual - preferably when one of us is with her.

We did notice a little bump beside one of her ears which could have caused an infection from a sting or scratch. I've booked her in now for Monday. I thought I'd ask you guys first to see if other cats show this sort of behaviour.

Regards, M.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

markusboettner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: She wasn't eating much yesterday, slept a lot and hissed at me, too, this morning. She surely is in pain. I had booked her in to the vet anyway...

Diagnosis: She has a killer abscess from a bite from another cat on the small of her back - probably that tomcat here in the neighbourhood. They drained the abscess and told us how to keep it open - so it heals from the inside out.

We know a few of his "patrolling times", during some of them, Tibbs is usually inside anyway, but there is not much else we can do.

At least, now we know what it is and that she'll be her usual self in a few days' time.

Cat soon, Markus