Strange Litter Box Behavior

JuliaB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate your input on something that just happened with my cat Charlie (1 year old, male).

Since the first day we got him he has never had an accident outside the litter box, but today he pooped directly next to it instead of in it. I am thinking that it might be because I put out a new litter box today and got rid of the old one. The new one is smaller and shaped a little differently- it comes with a lid which is why I got it but I haven't put the lid on yet so it was open just like his old one was. I am using the same exact litter and the new box is just a few feet away from where the old one was. I also should mention that he had already peed in the new box by the time he had the pooping incident.

What I am wondering is whether or not I should be concerned- is this an issue that suggests health issues?

Thank you in advance!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It is probably the new box. They should be 2x length of cat and 3inch litter. Some cats do not like tops. The best ones I found are storage bins. It would be a health concern if he was peeing out of the box.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The new box might have caused it. Any chance you put the poop inside the litter box? If not, and he does it again, put at least a little bit of the poop inside the box. The change in size might not be to his liking, and it may be that once he had peed in it, he didn't want to poop in it as perhaps there is just not enough room to do both comfortably in the new box. He could adapt, though.

The other thing to consider is giving him a new box and then placing in a different location - two changes at once! Also, make sure you thoroughly clean the area where he did poop outside the box so that his scent is no longer there - it can sometimes be an invitation to go there again and again.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the poop really hard? It could be constipation, and it just doesn’t dislodge until after they move out of the litter box.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Adult cats need big boxes, as large as you can purchase so the fact that this box is smaller than his former is likely the issue. Any many many cats hate covered boxes as well so adding the lid isn’t going to make him any happier with it. You can give it another day or two to see if he gets used to it but if there is another accident then either go back to his old box or buy him a bigger one.