Strange happenings

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise

Considering some of the people I have worked with in the past, we may be there...although, they did it mostly with the boss...just concerned for his well-being, I'm supposing.
There sure are a lot of people around here at my office concerned about my boss's health!  It's amazing how much they care

I'm sitting here picturing them all doing the sniff--the ones that are following him down the hall right this second!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Been away helping my parents maintain their property so not much new to report.  Things also seem to be slowing down now that the cold is passing and spring is nearly here (I'm sure that'll change once feral kittens start arriving).

Junior has become wise to our ways of only letting him out during the day - while I was away he decided to go on another tomcatting session mid-day and didn't return.  I'm sure he'll get hungry soon enough.

Missy is still coming by every day and sleeps/rests regularly now.  Still can't quite close the door on her yet without panic.

Sissy has become my cat.  She follows me around, sleeps near me whenever she can, and meows for pets.  The most recent development though is that she has begun calling for me whenever I am not "in my place".  She's decided that I am supposed to be on the couch and when I'm not there she takes it upon herself to call me back.  If I won't come I can chatter at her and she'll come and find me - she'll then sleep by my side (currently sprawled beside me on the bed).  It's so sweet.  Mama is doing a similar thing with Alpha Kitty but without the calling.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Did you get Junior fixed yet? It can take about a month for their hormones to settle down and them to stop acting like a tom cat, but eventually they lose their urge to roam and get into fights. (Although my avatar cat was TNR'd about three years ago and still takes off for a few days now and again.)

How's it going with the rest of your colony? Did you manage to get some cheap spays and neuters sorted out for them all? Did you ever find out if there were any kittens still being nursed somewhere?

It's so sweet that Sissy loves you, sounds like she has decided that couch is your patch.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Junior is scheduled for next week.  The clinic told us to bring our paper work by any time so we did, only to find out that it's 'any time the supervisor is there'
anyway she's there today so the subsidy will be sorted in a few hours.  We've decided to stagger them one each week for the next three weeks.  Partly because we don't know what to expect really (or how much trouble they'll be) and partly so if we have trouble getting Mama into the carrier we can swap Sissy and Mama's dates. 

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For someone who's never done this before...you're dealing with the "hassle" of it all quite well!

All that about Sissy is SO sweet!!! One of our cats - Jojo - is "my husband's cat" (I love Jo too, but I don't kid myself). We both work from home (me and my husband - not me and the cat - -the cat doesn't work), so they get very used to us being right next to them all the time. Jo actually sleeps right in front of my husband, on his desk, between the keyboard and the monitor. If Jo falls asleep and my hubby gets up and leaves the office, it's a combo sad/funny to watch Jo. He'll wake up...look around....sniff the air....then the calling starts. First it's like "Hey Dad? Dad? Wherejago?"....which turns to "Hey Dad?! Dad?! DAD?!"...cue jump...trot to office doorway...."DAD! DAD! DAD! DID YOU FORGET ME? DAD?"...trot to top of stairway - ratchetting up decibel level - but not speed because Jo is a large boy "DAD! DAD! DAD!!! DAD!!!! YOU KNOW I GET HUNGRY, RIGHT?!?!?!?"

It is quite the drama at our house....so I know what you mean!

Keep us updated on the spaying and neutering (and all the other fun!).

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry!

He showed up pretty soon after the last post.  I heard him a couple minutes before he showed up - he was not happy he was getting rained on and cried the whole way back.  He's spent the past couple days sleeping & eating.  He's so skinny, his outings seem to take a big tole on him, so we're pumping him full of calories at every opportunity. 

Scotty has been coming by more often, he actually ventured inside tonight but Mama wasn't having it and charged at him.

Missy is at a standstill - she's coming by eating/sleeping on a regular basis but won't stay for too long.  I'm not sure how to move forward with her... she'll sniff my hand/walk by me/etc. but never commits.  I can trap her easily now that she'll walk by me but I'm not sure that's the right strategy.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like everyone else here I am loving reading about your new family!

I tried to find you on GoFundMe, but no luck.

Could you provide a link on one of your Posts?

Thanks and I hope you are feeling blessed along with the overwhelm!

I had a feral colony adopt me once, and it has become my full-time work now with 50 feral cats in the Colony.

Sometimes life hands us what we need most even when we don't know it!

You are doing such a fantastic job, thank you for helping all of them!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been enjoying reading about your adventures with this little colony that has adopted you. :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor junior...glad hes getting neuteted next week! Snip snip and off they come. Lol

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Things have been strangely quiet.  I think fewer kitties are jumping up on the fence now that the snow is gone.

I figured out why Sissy was sleeping on the shoes - it wasn't the shoes themselves, they were just more comfortable than the floor.  The sweetheart just wanted to be close to me.  We setup her bed in that corner and she now only leaves it when I get up and a couple times a day to go and wander outside. 

Mama has been sleeping on the bed at night, even on my side which is amazing for her.  Missy came by twice today and spent some quality time on the sauna... still not sure why she won't stay.

Since we can't afford much for these guys I've been making plans to build a cat tower for them.  I cut down a spruce tree & a couple cedars while at my parents so we're going to use those as the posts and some old plywood from various projects to build something for them.  There's also a Re-Store nearby (a kind of 'Salvation Army Store' for construction materials) where I'm hoping to find some carpet scraps to cover it with.  It won't be pretty but it'll be a great scratching post and something that should let them see over the fence.

Junior is adorable as always - he spent most of today sunning himself on the fence - he somehow managed to snuggle down and fall asleep atop it!?  He's out on walkabout currently but I think part of the reason he'd disappear for days is that we'd miss his return.  He just appears, seemingly out of nowhere.  Since it's warmer we've been keeping the door open and he's been coming back for the past couple nights.  The other kitties all stay on top of the fence until they see us get up to open the door - they seem to get that if we don't see them we don't open the door... he's not so smart, he just goes to the door and starts crying.  (Un)fortunately we have amazing sound proofing due to being close to a 6 lane highway so we can't hear him unless it's open anyway.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Like everyone else here I am loving reading about your new family!

I tried to find you on GoFundMe, but no luck.

Could you provide a link on one of your Posts?

Thanks and I hope you are feeling blessed along with the overwhelm!

I had a feral colony adopt me once, and it has become my full-time work now with 50 feral cats in the Colony.

Sometimes life hands us what we need most even when we don't know it!

You are doing such a fantastic job, thank you for helping all of them!
Here you go, it is still there.  The post is in the Forum, Cat S.O.S., and it titled, A Surprise Family.  Please Help.  Or  very nearly.  But this is the link to the GoFundMe page.

That should get you there.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
@JMJimmy try checking with any flooring businesses or home stores in your area. I asked and they gave me free remnants and cuttings from their jobs that I used to recover a couple of perches. Love the updates!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I love the idea of making them an outdoor cat tower. I have this one in my enclosure, made from a recycled table and some fence posts. It's treated with the same wood preservers they use on stable doors, so it's not toxic when the cats scratch it.

Carpet is generally only good for about a year. It tends to hold moisture because of the plastic backing and gets all gross and mouldy. Sisal rope or sisal fabric works pretty well. Can't wait to see some more pictures of what you make.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mamany,

Thanks so much for the link.

I can't help him yet  since I've been needing help myself but I wanted the link so that when I rise out from under my financial problems I can lend him a hand.

It is such a sweet story. Obviously, these cats were choosing who they wanted to be with. And they chose so well. But then there are few animals smarter than cats, don't you think?

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I love the idea of making them an outdoor cat tower. I have this one in my enclosure, made from a recycled table and some fence posts. It's treated with the same wood preservers they use on stable doors, so it's not toxic when the cats scratch it.

Carpet is generally only good for about a year. It tends to hold moisture because of the plastic backing and gets all gross and mouldy. Sisal rope or sisal fabric works pretty well. Can't wait to see some more pictures of what you make.
That outdoor tower is awesome!  I am actually going to do an indoor tower (hence the carpet).  Outdoors I'm hoping to do a platform with a ramp to make getting up to the top of the fence easier for them/give them a place to sun outside.  The ramp will also act as the roof for an outdoor house (your previous pic inspired me ;) but those plans are longer term.  I'm not sure when we're going to be able to do the outdoor stuff though, the building is fixing the balconies this year and has informed us we're losing access to our patio from June to November.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamany,

Thanks so much for the link.

I can't help him yet  since I've been needing help myself but I wanted the link so that when I rise out from under my financial problems I can lend him a hand.

It is such a sweet story. Obviously, these cats were choosing who they wanted to be with. And they chose so well. But then there are few animals smarter than cats, don't you think?
You are so very welcome, and I'm so in touch with being a bit strapped. 

It is one of the sweetest, and most amusing, stories I've heard in a while.  I keep watching for the updates.  And yes, cats are right up there at the top of the pile insofar as intelligence goes.  For my money, not much other than dolphins and whales outdo them, and I'm not so sure that dolphins and whales should be classified as animals.  They're not human, but I think they are "folks."  I decided that when I read the studies that revealed that they have a "distinct series of sounds" that indicates their family group, and another that indicates each individual.  Horsehockey.  That's just science babble for "HEY...THEY HAVE A FIRST AND A LAST NAME!"  But if you say it right out like that, then slaughter of dolphins and whales becomes outright murder, and Goddess forbid we should stop the money from flowing.